Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merge replication

Question Merge replication

Hi,

I have just set up Merge replication, I have two servers, server A and server B, the merge replication worked successfully but I don't quite sure which databases should or should not replicated? If not, what other methods should I use?

I would really appreciated any comments or advice out there!

-whitebelt

If you need sync data in the db on both servers, then you should replicate it.

thanks for your quick reply! what I meant was should I replicate every database on the server A to the other server B?

Thanks for your help!

-Whitebelt

Depends on if you need those dbs on both servers and keep them in sync or not.

Thanks 'rmiao' for your quick response! I am a bit confused on this...some people said the master database should not be replicated, it should be backup and restored only in Merge replication, is that a correct statement?

-whitebelt

You can't replicate system dbs at all.

Thank you for your responses! I really appreciate it.

-Whitebelt

I am a bit confused....please help!

If I don't replicate system dbs, then server B does not have system dbs at all, so how will the server B up and run when the server A goes down?

My second question: If I need to have some of login accounts from server A to be on the server B, as you mentioned above, we don't replicate the master database, so how would I get some of the login accounts from server A to server B? Should I replicate some of the tables in the master db that contain those login accounts?

Thanks in advance for your response!

-Whitebelt

Every sql server has set of system dbs, they are created by sql installation. To copy sql logins, you can use dts copy logins task. Again, you CAN'T replicate system dbs nor anything in them.

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it! I understand now.

-Whitebelt

Hi,

I was just wondering what if I just want to migrate some of the login accounts (Not all) from server A to server B, do I still use dts copy logins task to do this? And when I modify/update the login accounts for particular users, how do I synchronize the changes to the server B?

Thanks for your help!

-whitebelt

You can copy sql login per db. Even copy all logins, dts will ignore those existing ones.

Thanks very much for your quick response 'rmiao' !

From your comments and reading between the lines, im not sure sql replication is what your looking for, at least not merge replication.

you say :

"so how will the server B up and run when the server A goes down? "

If your trying to create a mirror that will "kick in" when server A goes down then I suggest you look into Mirroring on SQL Server 2005, link below..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../dbmirror.mspx

This technology can have clients that (once configured) automatically redirect to the "backup" server should the primary server fail.

Hope this helps, good luck

Thank you for the input! I really appreciate it!

I was actually trying to replicate the server using sql server 2000 and we replicate the server using Merge replication. I wish we would use sql 2005 but we aren't.

Thanks again for your input!

-whitebelt