Thread: compare date, and timespan

Question compare date, and timespan

Hi,

I'm searching for a SQL-command for a travelagency that selects all the Rooms that are occupied in a certained timespan (I have a begindate and a end date)

but now is my question: how can i compare a period (with begin and end date) with another period?

hope you can help!
    Last edited by darkstar; 01-02-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Hi,

can u be a little more specific in your comparison?

maybe you already have something like this
    SELECT ..... FROM ...... WHERE initialDate>'02/11/2006' AND finalDate<'02/01/2007'

Is this waht u have? Can you describe what you really wanna do with comparing 2 periods of dates?

Regards,
    Teixeira

SELECT DISTINCT tblRoom.RoomID
    FROM tblRoom INNER JOIN tblRoomReservation ON tblRoom.RoomID = tblRoomReservation.RoomID
    WHERE (((tblRoomReservation.Begindate)<#5/1/2007#) AND ((tblRoomReservation.Enddate)>#5/1/2007#)) OR (((tblRoomReservation.Begindate)<#5/8/2007#) AND ((tblRoomReservation.Enddate)>#5/8/2007#));

This is my sql command that i allready had!
    The problem with this command is that it only checks of the begin and end date are between the two dates that the room allready has been reserved!

What do you mean 'compare a period (with begin and end date) with another period'? Have sample?

Quote Originally Posted by rmiao
    What do you mean 'compare a period (with begin and end date) with another period'? Have sample?
    The values, #5/1/2007# and #5/8/2007#, are the variables that can be changed, and this values will be implemented with VB.net

So these values should be the begin and end date of a period (for explaining i will call this 'period 1')

Then i search in my database for all the reservations where i also have a begin and end date ! Then i want to check of the period of the reservation is not in 'period 1'!

Tried replace OR with AND?

Quote Originally Posted by rmiao
    Tried replace OR with AND?
    yes, but then it returns a wrong result