Thread: How to transfer values from one table to another

Exclamation How to transfer values from one table to another

Hi! i have a little problem on inserting my my data, i clean up all the values from from my previous table, only left are the fieldnames. now i want to insert new value on it that came from another table. but im having trouble in my query the error says i have wrong number of values for insert.
    can somebody help me in this problem?
    here is my query:

begin
    declare a integer;
    declare i integer;
    set a = (select count(customercode) from tmp_a);
    set i=0;
    while i<=a loop
    insert into customer (customercode,companyname,building,street,area,cou ntry,attention,email,tel,fax)
    values ('select customercode,company_na,building,street,area,count ry,attn,mail_addre,tel_no_,fax_no_ from tmp_a');
    set i=i+1;
    end loop
    end
    please help me i really need your help.
    thanks and happy new year!!!

johds
    Last edited by johds; 01-02-2007 at 04:43 AM.

Hi,

I've 2 things to tell:

1st - Chech if the field "Country" is well written in your code, ypu have "cou ntry" and maybe you wanted "country" all together.

2nd - if 1rst wasn't right, try this piece of code:
    DECLARE @customercode <type>,@companyname <type>,@building <type>,@street <type>,
    @area <type>,@country <type>,@attention <type>,@email <type>,@tel <type>,@fax <type>
    DECLARE myCursor CURSOR FOR
    select customercode,company_na,building,street,area,count ry,attn,mail_addre,tel_no_,fax_no_ from tmp_a

--Open cursor
    OPEN myCursor

FETCH NEXT FROM myCursor
    INTO --Get the first record
    @customercode,@companyname,@building ,@street,@area,@countr,@attention,@email,@tel,@fax

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0--While there are records to go through....
    BEGIN
    /*Record insert*/
    insert into customer (customercode,companyname,building,street,area,cou ntry,attention,email,tel,fax)
    values(@customercode,@companyname,@building ,@street,@area,@countr,@attention,@email,@tel,@fax )

-- Get the next record
    FETCH NEXT FROM myCursor
    INTO @customercode,@companyname,@building ,@street,@area,@countr,@attention,@email,@tel,@fax
    END

--Clean and close the cursor from memory
    CLOSE myCursor
    DEALLOCATE myCursor
    GO

OR just try this at last,

begin
    declare a integer;
    declare i integer;
    set a = (select count(customercode) from tmp_a);
    set i=0;
    while i<=a loop
    values SELECT customercode,company_na,building,street,area,count ry,attn,mail_addre,tel_no_,fax_no_ FROM tmp_a;
    /*You were inserting just one value because ' ' delimiters, make the expression to be executed as one field, this without the round brackets and without the ' ' */
    /*YOUR OLD CODE -> ('select customercode,company_na,building,street,area,count ry,attn,mail_addre,tel_no_,fax_no_ from tmp_a');*/
    set i=i+1;
    end loop
    end
    Regards and happy new year too,
    Tiago Teixeira
    Last edited by teixeira; 01-02-2007 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added one more possibility to solve the issue

what RDBMS are you using?

In most of them it would be done like this, and there is no need for your loop.

insert into customer
    select customercode, company_na, building,street, area,country, attn, mail_addre, tel_no_, fax_no_
    from tmp_a

thank you guys, i made it