Thread: openrowset problem to query Access DB

openrowset problem to query Access DB

Hi, there
    I wrote a OpenRowset query in SQL Server 2000 to access my 2003 Access DB:
    select *
    from OpenRowset ('microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0', 'G:\myFolder\myDB.mdb';'myname';'myPWD','myTable')

I got error:
    "Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    OLE DB provider 'microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0' reported an error. Authentication failed.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.]
    OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80040e4d: Authentication failed.]."

The Access DB is password protected and My login was added to the work group. When I open Access DB directly, it would asked me work group login name & password. Then it asked DB password.

I know something tricky here about work group and password. How to solve this problem by using OpenRowset query?

Thanks!

Is the file opened by other ones when you run the query?

Nope.
    The Access db is in my local drive and I tried to use my local SQL account to connect it.
    Any idea to use linked server ? How to go through the security configuration by adding the link server?
    Thanks!

1. When using .mdw file you have to update the system registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=246255

2. When querying you could use opendatasource to specify the system database

select * from OPENDATASOURCE('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0', 'Data Source="c:\MyDB.mdb";Jet OLEDB:System Database="C:\MyMDW.mdw";User ID=MyUser;Password=;')...a1