Thread: Confused about replication

Confused about replication

Hi

I have study Microsoft online books for few days no, about repliction but I'am even more confused about replication. please help somebody

My goal:

I have been written a GPS program that has an database.
    The database will be replicated to an central web server.
    That will say one web server and x numbers of laptops that has same GPS program.
    All laptops uses internet to replicate.

Now... I have no problem to create publications and subscriptions on server BUT HOW do I do it on client?????

Microsoft do not write nothing about client side of replication. everyting is SERVER, SERVER,SERVER and SERVER.The Microsoft HOW TO is only How to click forward, its dosen't really explain anything.

Problaby I need some kind of an database on client and subscription to make the replication.

please help me, I'am almost finished with my project only replication part is over my head

if someone can point me to right direction in this issue. I would be greateful.

Thanks

KK
    Last edited by Kilpone; 12-18-2006 at 12:04 PM.

PS. My system:
    Web Server: Windows server 2003, IIS6.0, MSSQL2005
    GPSprogram: done with visual studio 2005

Replication is replicating db from server to server not to client since you don't put db on client machine. For this kind of project, should have dba involved.

Hi

MS SQL 2005 can replicate server to client:

"Merge replication is typically used in server-to-client environments. Merge replication is appropriate in any of the following situations:" citate from books online

The client here is not sql server client, it's client-server environment's client. You can't replicate db to machine that doesn't have any db on it.

Hi

Let's get this right. Its the Laptop (Client) that makes the replication TO server (on demand), because laptops are mostly offline. All updates on client(s) should bee replicated to server so other laptops that replicats to server have same data to be viewed.

As I undestand with Access this was no problem at all but Access replication is no longer supported from Microsoft. So I decided to use Microsoft MS SQL 2005 and merge replication. Same database is on Server and client "example.mdf".

Database on client is a part of my program (deply integrated toghter).
    Last edited by Kilpone; 12-19-2006 at 12:36 AM.

Do you install sql2k5 server on laptops? Sql2k5 express can only be subscriber of replication. If laptop has sql server installed, it's not client from sql point of view although it's client of your app. When talk about sql replication, should use sql's term.

Hi

I have intalled on server MS SQL 2005 Developer Edition and on laptops I will install only program that is needed to run my program and replication.

Its the laptops subscriber that I have problem with, how do I create subscriber to client (many copies) and how do I deploy subscriber to clients. I have a setup wizard to install my program, is it possible to include subscriber to the setup program?

And of course subscriptions to.

KK

As said above, you can't replicate db to laptop if don't install sql service on it.

Hi

As I said above, Setup program will install all needed programs on laptop when user installs my program. But that is not a issue yet. now I want to now HOW it is done in practice.

Hello

after done some more reading I notice that Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition propably is may way to go... or...

Using FFA application.

Hello

I started to testing mobile and I have created publ, subscription and webpage, snapshot share...

but when I run "Configuring Web Synchronization" its hangs up or complaining abut this "The operation completed successfully. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070000) (mscorlib)"

I understand that wizard is trying to set the NTFS directory permissions.

I seems that no share and/or permission has effect.

Problem fixed!

But some kind of response would be nice.

HI

Well... after many days of painful reading, googling, testing and hard language I DID IT.. everyting works now. Now when I have the code, client database, ONE central Database at server and working web server. I can continue with my project and focus on the goal.

Best regards
    very happy man.