Thread: Database recovery time

Andrew Guest

Database recovery time

Just curious, Has anyone had to do a full recovery and have it take 20+ hours?? If anyone can give me their average times for full recovery and database size, I would appreciate it. I'm researching this topic. Thanks.

david Guest

Database recovery time (reply)

Hi Andrew!

Most databases I have worked have been in the 100 MB to 1000 MB range. As a rough rule of thumb restoring a 500MB database should only take about 10 to 20 minutes. Perhaps you can use that as a guide. If you are running into 20 hours to recover you:

(1) have a really large database
    (2) somtin' ain't right - may have to bounce(reboot)your server.

------------
    Andrew at 3/12/99 11:26:43 AM

Just curious, Has anyone had to do a full recovery and have it take 20+ hours?? If anyone can give me their average times for full recovery and database size, I would appreciate it. I'm researching this topic. Thanks.

Kenneth Wilhelmsson Guest

Do you mean the time it takes to load a dumpfile or the time SQL Server takes recoveringg databases when starting?

Loading a dump should always take slightly longer than it took to dump it.

Recovery at start of the server could range from a few seconds (which in my case is usual on my 4GB+ db) up to significantly longer, depending on circumstances. My longest (same 4GB+ db) has had a 13 hour recovery once.
    Cause was a dead process, had to cycle the server and the recovery was rolling back a couple of hours work from the dead uncommitted transaction.

/Kenneth

------------
    david at 3/12/99 1:09:33 PM

Hi Andrew!

Most databases I have worked have been in the 100 MB to 1000 MB range. As a rough rule of thumb restoring a 500MB database should only take about 10 to 20 minutes. Perhaps you can use that as a guide. If you are running into 20 hours to recover you:

(1) have a really large database
    (2) somtin' ain't right - may have to bounce(reboot)your server.

------------

David Guest

I am interpreting "recovery" to mean the the time it takes to restore a a full database.

------------