Thread: How Do I Fix Error 605?

Kevin M. Tupper Guest

How Do I Fix Error 605?

All:

I've got error 605 on two tables. It's the non-transient variety.

For reference see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/sdkdoc/sql/adminco/src/admn25_23lh.htm

How do I recover from this when I don't have a clean backup and transaction logs?

My idea is to do a BCP out of the two tables stopping at the rows that are corrupt and continuing after the rows that are corrupt. This way we only lose the data on the pages that are corrupt. Then I drop the tables, recreate them, and do a BCP in. Will this get rid of the corruption on the database? If not, do I have to BCP out all the data, create a new database and BCP in all the data?

Thanks,

Kevin M. Tupper

Jimmy Guest

How Do I Fix Error 605? (reply)

Kevin,

Your idea will fix only the two tables that are corrupted. You should run the DBCC CHECKDB and DBCC CHECKALLOC as suggested in the admn25_23lh.htm to make sure that other tables are not corrupted.

Good luck,
    Jimmy

------------
    Kevin M. Tupper at 3/12/99 11:06:59 AM

All:

For reference see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/sdkdoc/sql/adminco/src/admn25_23lh.htm

How do I recover from this when I don't have a clean backup and transaction logs?

My idea is to do a BCP out of the two tables stopping at the rows that are corrupt and continuing after the rows that are corrupt. This way we only lose the data on the pages that are corrupt. Then I drop the tables, recreate them, and do a BCP in. Will this get rid of the corruption on the database? If not, do I have to BCP out all the data, create a new database and BCP in all the data?

Thanks,

Kevin M. Tupper

Kevin M. Tupper Guest

Jimmy:

I did run DBCC CheckDB, that's how I knew which two tables were corrupt.

So If I BCP out all the records from the corrupt tables (excluding records on corrupt pages) and drop / recreate the tables and BCP in, the corruption should be taken care of?

Thanks,

Kevin

------------
    Jimmy at 3/12/99 11:41:57 AM

Kevin,

Your idea will fix only the two tables that are corrupted. You should run the DBCC CHECKDB and DBCC CHECKALLOC as suggested in the admn25_23lh.htm to make sure that other tables are not corrupted.

Good luck,
    Jimmy

------------

All:

Thanks,

Kevin M. Tupper

Kenneth Wilhelmsson Guest

Yes. That will fix the tables in question.

I guess you don't have to be reminded to look over your backup strategy if it should happen again =;-)

Good luck
    /Kenneth

------------
    Kevin M. Tupper at 3/12/99 12:48:46 PM

Jimmy:

I did run DBCC CheckDB, that's how I knew which two tables were corrupt.

So If I BCP out all the records from the corrupt tables (excluding records on corrupt pages) and drop / recreate the tables and BCP in, the corruption should be taken care of?

Thanks,

Kevin

------------
    Jimmy at 3/12/99 11:41:57 AM

Kevin,

Good luck,
    Jimmy

------------

All:

Thanks,

Kevin M. Tupper