Thread: Help Using a Combo Box and Button to Filter data

Question Help Using a Combo Box and Button to Filter data

Hi there!

I am pretty new at this so please bear with me (like that isn't said a thousand times!). I am creating a small database to track task data (manpower tracking basically) where I have the following fields:

Customer
    Functional Group
    Task Status
    Task Name
    Task Description
    WO #
    Funded Hours
    Notes

I would like to create a combo box where the user can select the customer (I have 124 records in total, 15 unique customer names) and all tasks relating to that customer are filtered directly in the Form by clicking a single button to do the filter.

I don't want to create dozens of tables and forms to flip through and such (users need it as simple as possible). I have created queries but the only way I have successfully filtered each customer is via buttons...but 15 buttons to filter each individual customer is a pain in the butt, so any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Please let me know if I haven't explained this clearly enough!

Thanks!

You will need to create a combo box listing the distinct customers and then create a query which references the combo box. Use the build wizard in the customer field of the query to reference the combo box on the open form. Biuld a new form with the query as its source. I would then use a button to requery the new form and open/display it. This way you get a filtered search of the relevent data.

I have used this concept to create a search form which display the correct record on the main form. But because it is a filtered search you have to reset the main form before doing any other work on the database. This filtered search allows you to work on the selected master record.