Thread: Listbox Headache

Listbox Headache

I am not well versed in advanced aspects of Access 2003. I want to know if it is possible to select items from a combo box and write them to eiter a listbox or a text box. Any help wold be appreciated. Thank you.

Michael

The answer is "Yes." But then the next thing is a question. Why? and Just what do you want to do with these items from a list box? It is difficult to help when we don't know where you are going.

Listbox Headache

I have an existing database that is used to track the daily activities of disabled individuals. It was initially set up to track and report by day and time. The individuals are entered into a memo field. Supervision can select a date range and pull up a continuous form where they can review the schedule and plan staff availibility. Management has requested the ability to see a schedule for selected individuals. Without having to reinvent the wheel my initial thoughts were to add a combo box containing the individual's names for entry into the schedule and a list box to replace the existing memo field.

As you cacn see my experience with Access is quite limited, so please use little words.

Thanks
    Michael

You need to get those individuals out of the memo field. I have no idea how they are in there, so don't know if it can be done via VBA code, but it is going to be VERY difficult to work with them in a memo field. You need a NAME field, and better yet, both FirstName and LastName fields. It is never too late to design the database correctly. What you need are normalized tables. Click on normalization to learn the rules of normalization. It will be a BIG help. Trying to patch together something here WILL NOT HELP, it will only make the situation worse and more expensive to continue dealing with. Sorry, but without normalized tables, this is beyond what I could help you with here.

Listbox Headache

I did normalize the data. That was the first thing I did - first and last names are now two fields along with a unique id number field. Why they used a memo field is beyond me too. With minor mods I was able to use the existing queries, forms and reports. The remaining problem is that if there are 6 individuals on an outing the supervisory review and editing form lists all the activity info 6 times, once for each individual. My thinking was if the names could written to an unbound list box I could save a lot of redesign time.

Regardless, I do appreciate you taking your time with me.

Michael