Thread: restore database fail

restore database fail

We have 2 database on a production server running sql express 2005, the first one is 200mb and the other one is 1.3gig.

We make backup under sql management studio using option full.

When we try to recover database on another server the 200mb database restore perfectly, the 1.3 gig
    always fail with the following message :

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The file "database_name" failed to initialize correctly. Examine the error logs for more details. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

We tried dbcc checkdb and everything seems alright.
    I updated the statistics, no change.
    I switched the recovery model from full to simple, no change.
    I tried using "restore database from disk='' with norecovery, same error message

We tried stopping the production server then copying the file to the other server and attaching and it still fail with the following message :

An error occured when attaching the database(s). >
    ------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

Unable to open the physical file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\database_Data.MDF". Operating system error 8: "8(error not found)". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5120)

We dont know what to try anymore, the goal is to be sure our backup are alright....

Please helppppp ! thank you.
    sorry for my bad english...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    nicolas

What's sql version, sp level and edition on target server? Does target server have enough disk space? Did you check sql server log on target server?

destination server free disk space : 3gb

Database : 1.3gb
    log : 200mb

Sp level destination server : 9.00.2047.00 SP Express Edition with Advanced Services.

Sp level source server : 9.00.1399.06 RTM Express Edition

Should I upgrade my production server ? I am really scared from the fact that if something go wrong I have no backup working...

Youhou !!!!!!! Finaly.

Ok, I uninstalled avg antivirus, then free my disk drive to have 10gig free.

restored my backup and it completed successfully !!!!

thank you for your help rmiao