Thread: MS SQL Server 2000 Snapshot Agent

Smile MS SQL Server 2000 Snapshot Agent

Hello Sir,

Now I'm choosing Trasactional publication as my publication type. I now can successfully replicate the data from publisher to subscriber without any error.

But now my question is what is the usage of snapshot agent? When I go to Replication Monitor > Agents > Snapshot Agents > Start Agent but failed.

I need to check with you whether the way I start the snapshot agent was not correct? What is the effect if I drop snapshot agent during the replication and DBUpdate are running?

Please kindly help me .

Thank You.

No, you don't have to start it manually. It'll run when you like to reinital subscriber.

Hello Rmiao,

Thank You for your prompt reply. I tried to reinnitialize subcriber and go to Replication Monitor > Agent > Snalshot Agents > Site_article checked. But the Snapshot agent on Site_article didnt not show it "PLAY" or "RUN".

So how? And can you please tell me what is the purpose of Snapshot agent in replication?

Please kingly help. Thank You.

Then you can start it manually or let it run at scheduled time. It will stop once done with snapshot, doesn't run all the time like log reader agent does.

Snapshot

Hi ,

As far as I know snapshot is the way SQL Server copies all data from the publisher and distributer reads from there. You dont have to run it. It runs automatically in a periodic time. In transactional replication you need it only once time then SQL Server just updates your subscriber according to the transaction activity.

Regards

LS

Hello LS,

Thank you on your replied. You did help me a lot. Thank You.

But I still have one more question. Let say my LiveDB is running window 2000 with MS SQL 2000 and another DB is running window 2003 with MS SQL 2000.

Since these tow DB us running at diffrent OS,will it be affect replication to replicate data or do DBUpdate?

Thank You.

answer

It shouldnt affect you , as long as you have win 2000 server,but I have never used in two different OS. If you can change the machines to the same OS.

Thanks

LS

Will not affect replication when run sql2k on different os versions.

Hi All,

The time I am performing the testing, the DBUpdate still able to Update successfully but what we experienced, the DBUpdate sure will indicate that few table are not able to update, due to those table still in use.

so what I need to do next on this? Why indicate the tables being used ? How to solve this?

Thanks again your effort .

What does DBUpdate do? You can use sp_lock to find out who uses table.

Our DBUpdate is use to update the changes that we did in the application and transaction to the database.

We had stop the replication then only to DBUpdate.But it still show me that indicate that few table are not able to update, due to those table still in use.

Do you have any alternate way to check it?

Do we have to stop the Snapshot agent when we are doing replication?

Do we need to start back the snapshot agent after the replication?

Please kindly help.

Thank You.

Snapshot agent doesn't run all the time. Check who connects to the db with sp_who2.

Hi,

Ok.Can you please guide me where I should to go to check who connects to the db with sp_who2?

Run it in query analyzer.