Thread: Plzz,can anyone help me building a searching SQL statement??

Plzz,can anyone help me building a searching SQL statement??

Is there any technique to return the result that are spelled differently but sound alike,
    Like cumputor, camputer,camputr,computer,komputer,chomputer etc..

I have heard it is possible in ORACLE to use a function called soundex() to compare strings of such kind..

is there any function like this in sql server 2000?

wat i need to accomplish is , a string parameter is passed, for example 'computer'... then i need to find out values from a field that are sound alike even though can have different spellings..

Yes, SQL Server also has SOUNDEX function.

Did you check Books Online?.

SOUNDEX
    Returns a four-character (SOUNDEX) code to evaluate the similarity of two strings.

Syntax
    SOUNDEX ( character_expression )

Thanks a lot

Mr Skhanal first of all thanks for ur nice effort in replying my post. I will check out soundex() function too as u said it is available.

BUT

wat i need to accomplish is , a string parameter is passed, for example 'computer'... then i need to find out values from the database that sound alike even though can have different spellings.. like komputer, chomputer,cumputer,conputer etc...

thank you

Just use SOUNDEX like skhanal stated:

SELECT * FROM YourTable
    WHERE SOUNDEX(YourColumn) = SOUNDEX(@InputValue)

I've tried using SOUNDEX before, and IMO I didn't find it to be very accurate.

Thanks all for reply

Thanks to all who replied the post at least now i got idea to move to which direction ... i think i can now find out the better solution out from this fuction to solve it....

thanks once again