Thread: SQL Mail won't start

Richard Gray Guest

SQL Mail won't start

Hi All

I cannot get SQL Mail to start on our SQL Server v6.5 SP4.

Each time I try to start the service I get error 17903 MAPI login failure) followed by 17951 (failed to start SQL Mail session)

Server is Exchange server (on another machine), client is Outlook 97.

The SQL Server sevice account is a local system account that can interact with the desktop. The SQL Executive account is a domain administrative account. I configured the Exchange profile with the SQLExec account and have been able to log on with this account and send messages no problem.

Can anybody help me get this working?

Thanks
    Richard Gray

Kenneth Wilhelmsson Guest

SQL Mail won't start (reply)

Hi Richard.

You must run the SQL Server service under a domain user account, Local System won't do since it cannot access the network.
    You could run the server service under the same account as SQL Executive.
    There are a few things that must be configured to get SQL Mail running, but since you say that SQL Exec works, then try that
    account for the server service, or make a copy and assign the server it's own account.

There are detailed info on SQL Mail setup somewhere in the archives, and some in the FAQ also, if I remember correctly.

/Kenneth
    ------------
    Richard Gray at 3/15/99 4:19:44 AM

Hi All

Each time I try to start the service I get error 17903 MAPI login failure) followed by 17951 (failed to start SQL Mail session)

The SQL Server sevice account is a local system account that can interact with the desktop. The SQL Executive account is a domain administrative account. I configured the Exchange profile with the SQLExec account and have been able to log on with this account and send messages no problem.

Thanks
    Richard Gray

Jason Guest

Your services accounts need to be started by your SQL Executive domain account.

Try that!

------------

Hi All

Thanks
    Richard Gray

Lynn Gans Guest

I have had SQL mail running successfully for several months. I rebooted the SQL server Friday night and since then have been getting error 17903 MAPI login failure. There have been no changes to the services accounts on SQL or to the mail account. I can send and receive mail as the SQLExec user account. Any idea what could have happened to make this stop working?

Thanks.

------------

Hi All

Thanks
    Richard Gray