Thread: Exception_access_violation - version 6.5 service pack 4

wincy Guest

Exception_access_violation - version 6.5 service pack 4

MS SQL server 6.5 - SP4
    Our errorlog shows that the error that

&#34; exception_access_violation raised,attempting to create symptom dump .................................................. ..........................................input buffer is <stored procedure name>&#34;

some times it hangs the whole server also.

The above stored procedure contains individual row processing using cursors update within a transaction.

I searched MS support online,TechNet and Helps online.....but i didn&#39;t get the proper reason......

When any one faced the same problem above... could you please suggest what is the problem....?

I am awaiting your valuable suggestions... please

Thanking you

Wincy.

Kenneth Wilhelmsson Guest

Exception_access_violation - version 6.5 service pack 4 (reply)

SQL Server&#39;s had a GPF. If it happens often with the same proc you need to look at it closer and try to isolate the problem.

I&#39;ve had this behavior sometimes, (I think I remember that it could have been cursors involved too, often very big gives you headaches), but I never digged very deep. Just located the problem and re-coded, often it is possible to loose the cursor and do a while construct or something else that does what the cursor&#39;s doing.

An AV can also be a hardware problem. You might need to look at that also.

/Kenneth

------------
    wincy at 3/12/99 4:20:34 PM

MS SQL server 6.5 - SP4

&#34; exception_access_violation raised,attempting to create symptom dump .................................................. ..........................................input buffer is <stored procedure name>&#34;

The above stored procedure contains individual row processing using cursors update within a transaction.

I searched MS support online,TechNet and Helps online.....but i didn&#39;t get the proper reason......

When any one faced the same problem above... could you please suggest what is the problem....?

Thanking you

Wincy.

John Thorpe Guest

One of the most likely causes is unprintable characters getting into your stored procedure. This can happen when you regularly cut-and-paste between the stored procedure editing window in EM, and a text-based editor.

The best method I have found for tracking these down is to use MS SourceSafe when making updates to the Stored Procedures, and using the Diff function to look for these problems. Unprintable characters appear as new blank lines in the code where you know you haven&#39;t made a change, and when looking at the code in a text editor the line is not there (although they can be seen in the SP editor).

Try looking through your code to see if there are any blank lines that look as if they shouldn&#39;t be there, and delete them.

Until I discovered this problem I had an SP that caused random AVs for nearly 6 months, and I couldn&#39;t trace the problem as it always reran the next time fine. After using SourceSafe and making sure spurious lines are removed from the code I have not had 1 re-occurance of the problem.

------------

MS SQL server 6.5 - SP4

&#34; exception_access_violation raised,attempting to create symptom dump .................................................. ..........................................input buffer is &#34;

Thanking you

Wincy.

Gregory Guest

1. check service pack 5a fix list - maybe you need to apply latest service pack (service pack 5a)

2. or, maybe you do not need to use cursors.if you post your stored procedure maybe (&#39;fresh eyes look&#39 we can make it better(or worse)

3. or, try to use &#39;read only&#39; cursor. like this:
    declare <cursor name> cursor
    for <select statement>
    for read only

4. btw, does sql server error log show error number and description?

5. you can also look in sql server dump output file (you need to create dump output file using printdmp utility qith &#39;-q&#39; switch and redirect output into text file, like this:
    &#39;printdmp -q sq_server_dump_file >dump.txt&#39;

it might show you application name/user name/piece of data, so u&#39;ll have an idea why (or who to blame) it happens.
    ------------
    Kenneth Wilhelmsson at 3/12/99 4:42:52 PM

SQL Server&#39;s had a GPF. If it happens often with the same proc you need to look at it closer and try to isolate the problem.

I&#39;ve had this behavior sometimes, (I think I remember that it could have been cursors involved too, often very big gives you headaches), but I never digged very deep. Just located the problem and re-coded, often it is possible to loose the cursor and do a while construct or something else that does what the cursor&#39;s doing.

An AV can also be a hardware problem. You might need to look at that also.

/Kenneth

------------

MS SQL server 6.5 - SP4

Thanking you

Wincy.