I’ve been studying the drillthrough phenomenon in Reporting Services from OLAP data for a few days now and I just can’t figure out how to do something I really would like to do very much.

Let me explain. I’ve build a matrix report in reporting services, based on a MOLAP cube (Analysis Services 2005). In the cube I’ve enabled drillthrough. When I browse the cube from within Management Studio or from within Excel (plus the Excel 2003 Add-in for SQL Server Analysis Services) I get exactly the kind of drillthrough behaviour that I want. Right click on the cell with the measure, go to ‘view details’ and get returned the rows on which the measure in the cell are based.

But Reporting Services 2005 just doesn’t seem to support this. Ok, I’ve managed to enable drillthrough in the report by clicking on one of the members of the dimension hierarchy, but that’s not what I want. My report has drill down capability on rows and on columns. When I click on a cell with a measure, I’d like to know where I am in the column hierarchy and row hierarchy. So that I can give the right parameters to the dataset of my drillthrough report. And I don’t have any clue how to do this. So if anyone could lead me in the right direction, I’d much appreciate it.