Thread: How many instances of Integration Services on 1 machine?

How many instances of Integration Services on 1 machine?

How many separate instances of SQL 2005 Integration Services can you install on the same machine? It looks like you can only have 1 per machine, but I wasn't sure if someone knows differently. Also, there is an MSDN BOL page about installing SSIS on a cluster, http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345193.aspx, but it appear that it is only one instance of SSIS that is being stopped and started by the Cluster Service on different nodes of the cluster. I may be reading it wrong though.

Thanks.

You only need 1 per server, and it's not cluster awared.

What about in an active-active cluster?

If you have an active-active cluster with SSIS on both nodes, how would you make SSIS be a cluster service and failover with the correct instance?

One more question

Thanks for the link. One more question. When changing the name of the server in the xml config file, should it be the network name of the virtual sql server OR the fully qualified name of the instance. Since I am in an active-active, both instances have instance names.
    Thanks

Also, since I'm in an active-active and both instances will have there own SSIS, I'm a little confused about the registry value. I have seen the directions on MSDN and the link provided above, but I'm not sure if it takes into account an active-active SSIS setup. If that key will be replicated to both servers, then shouldn't each instance use a different unique key. Wouldn't one overwrite the other.

The link is for active passive. I dont think you can do active/active because SSIS will not be on a named instance.