Thread: Sql 2000

Sql 2000

I am an SQL 2000 administrator. I am trying to create users in my domain and get them to log on to the database. When i put in the user name and password, i get an error 4060, saying user has been denied access to log on to the database. can anyone help me out? it's a w2k network. there's no problem with the administrator account only the users.

You have to add that windows account as sql login first, then logon windows using that account and connect to sql server with windows authentication.

SQL logins

Thanks, but the real problem is like this, the account exixsts in active dir, you create a login for it in SQl, and try to grant db access to the user and at that point you get a message saying the user already exists. I'm sure that's becos it sees users in AD. So where am i going wrong? Becos this is the reason why the user can't log on from the wkstn.

No, sql will not check ads when you add sql login as db user. How did you add windows account as sql login? Use sp_helpuser in the db to see which sql login the user maps to.

I have smth called SQLUsers (a domain local security grp)to which all my users belong. This group exists now both in my AD and in SQL.I am thinking that a login should be created for SQLUsers in SQL. So i go there and try to grant that login access to my database. When i open the props window for SQLUsers logins and try to tick the box for my database and say ok, it comes up with the error saying sqlusers already exists. So it doesn't grant the access. The SQLusers gets created from a script i run.

As said run sp_helpuser under the db and check if any db user maps to that sql login. If so, the login has permission in the db already.