Thread: Frustration.. slow performace when editing a DTS

Frustration.. slow performace when editing a DTS

I have tried many things and even the worst case thing which I was trying to avoid i.e. uninstalled MSDE SP3 and Analysis Services and service packs but the problem is still not solved...

Whenever I open a DTS in design view and double click on the link (the line connecting the two) between the source and destination servers the PC goes to sleep and comes back after a long time and then the same problem occurs when I press on the transformation tab...

I know this may sound weird but that really is the case

Any clues anyone .... please

I assume you mean the data pump task when you say "the link" ?

is the source on your network? if you are doing this remotely over the internet it is practically guranteed to be slow. also, how much ram on your local pc? what type of connection is the source and the destination? usually, the lag is in negotiating a connection with the provider, then looking up and listing all of the candidate sources. for example, if your source is a DB2/400 database and there are 3000 objects, MSSQL must first negotiate a connection (authenticate) then find and list all 3000 tables.

Thanks for the replu russellb.

Yes I am referring to the data pump The source is a MS-SQL server on the LAN while the destination is MSDE SP3 on my box. I have been doing similar data importing related tasks (with the same settings, source, and destination) in the past but never experienced this problem.

Any clues/tips/things which I can do to do some tweaking of settings/anything that may help.

update:
    While still trying to solve the problem, I brought up task manager and I have concluded that everytime the problem happens the MMC.EXE process is choking the CPU...

Does this provide any clues???
    Last edited by joozh; 04-18-2006 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Found some more details which may help find a solution

I think it's related to your another post about slowness, can you provide more details like which netlib used to connect to source server from target, authentication model, and so.

Quote Originally Posted by rmiao
    I think it's related to your another post about slowness, can you provide more details like which netlib used to connect to source server from target, authentication model, and so.
    Yes rmiao. This is somewhat linked to the other post that you are referring to.

This is exactly the assistance that I am requesting i.e. when you talk about "netlib used", "authentication model used" and so on... these are things that I am not aware of and thus will appreciate if you can guide me what to look for and where. I do understand the botheration and maybe the irritation which my request maybe causing but ... Actually I am not very good with SQL server and I get to go near SQL server once a few months (only when needed)... I hope this provide you with a good idea of my technical know (actually the very little know-how)

The only question which I can answer is that I am using SQL as the authentication model. The rest of the terms "netlib used" is french to me

Can I still expect some guidance despite this silly post.

Thanks.

You can check netlib in sql client network utility, it also call protocol. Usually use either named pipes or tcp/ip. There are two authentications in sql. With sql authentication, you have to enter sql login id and password. For windows authentication, sql will use current windows account automatically.

Do you have problem to ping those machines each other? Which port sql uses on those machines? You can check that in sql server network utility. It's very hard for us to give you advice without knowing your system.

You can check netlib in sql client network utility, it also call protocol. Usually use either named pipes or tcp/ip. There are two authentications in sql. With sql authentication, you have to enter sql login id and password. For windows authentication, sql will use current windows account automatically.

Do you have problem to ping those machines each other? Which port sql uses on those machines? You can check that in sql server network utility. It's very hard for us to give you advice without knowing your system.

Hi rmiao,

Thank you for putting up with me

I am attaching images of the 4 tabs of the sql client network utility. Hope this will provide relevant information. BTW, for the General tab, the value for TCP/IP port is 1433 while the value for the Named pipes is sql\query.

Should both of these be there???

Please let me know if I can provide further details. BTW, I can easily ping to the server...

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is this from your pc? Where did you open dts package? Where is the package stored? Which machine is source and which is target? Use sql authentication to connect to both in the package? What's sql id? Are both machines on same segment? In same domain?

Is this from your pc? Where did you open dts package? Where is the package stored? Which machine is source and which is target? Use sql authentication to connect to both in the package? What's sql id? Are both machines on same segment? In same domain?
    Oopps... will i be getting the beating with the next reply?
    Yes, yes, and yes.

1. Snapshots are from from my PC
    2. Package is stored on my local MSDE SP3 installation. Which is also the destination
    3. The source is a server on our LAN
    4. Both (source and destination) are on the same domain

I hope this answers all question except for the "segment" one? Can you elaborate (in simple english) what you are asking (when you ask if they are on the same "segment"). If I understand correctly (and remember my skill level) then the obvious answer would be NO becuase these are different machines.

This is the 3rd day into this one and I appreciate you still putting up with me

I need a miracle now

Same segment mean they are on same network sebnet (have similar ip addresses). What's your pc spec? Tried open the package on sql server machine?

yes they are on the same net (have similar ip addresses). PC is P4 1GB RAM

Did you try open package on server machine? Faster, slower or same speed?

Hi rmaio,

Everything works just fine on the server but has my requirement not being different, I would not have posted this SOS.

WOW... just strated day4 on the same problem

Even if this never gets solved, I do want to thank you for your replies and especially your patience

So problem is on your pc. Did you try reboot your pc?

So problem is on your pc. Did you try reboot your pc?
    My friend,

What do you think?

Ofcourse I did...... at least a zillion times in the last 4 days