Thread: Help Using multiple dimension Mdx query

Help Using multiple dimension Mdx query

Hi

I am new to Analysis services. and I have figure out the following things:

I have a cube with multiple dimensions. I want to display all the options in cube along with the count of the rows for that combination. I am unable to understand how to count the dimensions and apply to column.

For example, I have say dim1, dim2, dim3 dim4, name as dimensions and cnt as count of the rows. Now I want to write an mdx expression that returns me dim1, dim2, dim3, dim4 with count(name fields) for above combination so the output will be as follows:

name field1 name field2
    dim1 dim2 dim3 dim4 200 100

how do I do it?

Also how do we accept input parameters for mdx expression. for example in the above thing, if I have to accept an input for dim1 and display the output values for dim1 how do I do it?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by shireesha; 03-16-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Cross join

I solved the above problem by using CrossJoin. But now I am facing a new problem. I am trying to get the input parameters from user. and it might also have -SELECT ALL- option. However when I try to use it in both select statement as well as Where it complains about it.

Can somebody help me out how to solve this issue. For example, if I have a drop down called category with cat1, cat2 , cat3 along with Select all option. Then the data set which is returned from the mdx expression should have the category value also included(which is selected by user). and if Select all is used then it should contain all the categories.

Thanks for any response in advance.