Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DBCC SHRINKFILE isn't working

DBCC SHRINKFILE isn't working

When I execute a DBCC SHRINKFILE or try shrinking database files through enterprise manager it works fine, except when I reboot the server the files return to the original size. Here is the statement I used:

DBCC SHRINKFILE (filename, filesize)

I have also tried using the TRUNCATEONLY option.

What's original file size used when create db? Didn't see that on dbs other than tempdb.

I am not sure, as I wasn't here when it was set up. No documentation of course. Is it stuck at the original size? I thought by specifying the size in the DBCC SHRINKFILE statement you are resetting the minimum file size.

Books Online says:
    "Use DBCC SHRINKFILE to reduce the size of a file to smaller than its originally created size. The minimum file size for the file is then reset to the newly specified size."

No...I am trying to shrink just regular database files.

Yes, should reset file size. In fact, I never saw that on my servers. Did you check free space in the db?

The size of the database is 141,762.38 MB and the space available is 44,262.82 MB.

Free space in data file or log file? Possible file expanded before rebooting?

What kind of file growth setting you have for the database? Is it allocating fixed number of MBs?

The data file free space is 28,974.07 MB and the log file free space is 15,989.5 MB. I am only trying to shrink the data file, not the log file. I'm pretty sure the file growth occurs when SQL Server starts. I've tried shrinking a few times and every time the file stays at the new size until the server is rebooted (SQL Server restarts).

The data file is set to automatically grow at a fixed size of 500 MB.

--Any startup procedure that you have on the server. Run this following command

use master
    go
    select name from sysobjects where type ='p' and OBJECTPROPERTY(id,'ExecIsStartup')=1
    go

if you find any procedure listed, then execute the following command

sp_helptext procedurename

These are the only two start up procedures:
    sp_MSrepl_startup (used for replication)
    sp_LEServer_Start (used for Log Explorer)
    Just to make sure I looked at both stored procs and they don't do anything to database size.

Can you see anything on the sql server errorlog regarding, database expanding or any stored procedure fired?

It's been a couple months since I last tried to shrink the files. So I don't have log files dating that far back. As you could imagine, it is a rather lengthy after hours operation, so I haven't had a chance to try again since. The log files that I do have, which include several reboots (we do one scheduled reboot every weekend) do not contain anything suspicious.

I found some new info. at msdn2. It says:

Consider the following information when you plan to run a shrink operation:

A shrink operation is most effective after an operation that creates lots of unused space, such as a truncate table or a drop table operation.

Most databases require some space to be available for regular day-to-day operations. If you repeatedly shrink a database and notice that the database size grows again, this indicates that the space that was shrunk is required for regular operations. In these cases, repeatedly shrinking the database is a wasted operation.

A shrink operation does not preserve the fragmentation state of indexes in the database, and generally increases fragmentation to a degree. This is another reason not to repeatedly shrink the database.

I think what might be happening is when I shrink the file it causes some fragmentation. Then after the server reboots I have a job that runs DBCC REINDEX against any index with excesive fragmentation. This reindexing causes the file sizes to grow.