Thread: Database Linking within same SqlServer

Database Linking within same SqlServer

Hi SS Gurus,

I have to develop a small module in Material Tracking System. My client already had this system running on PB with SS2000 backend. The vendor who create this system, won't provide to do any alteration in their database structure. But at the same time, my client is ready to privide me the access to SS2000. That means, I can create new database.

Now here is the problem. Their already running system has all the modules like PurchaseOrder(PO), DeliveryOrder(DO) etc.
    The current system lacks some fields, which I have to be created. I have to create a system as MS Access FrontEnd and the system should insert some values in certan fields, which is not available in their current system, also I need to update some status fields which is available in their table structure. I'm little bit new to SqlServer.

What method shoud I follow.

1. Should I create a new DB in Access and each time the user login, it should extract records from existing systems SS2000.

2.Create a new DB in SS2000, which consist of new tables. The table should have additional fields, at the same time link with another database in the same server.

Please guide me a solution for this scanario.

Regards

Manoj

Hi Mak,

Thanks for your quick reply. But I don't know how can we make link between tables in different database in the same SS2000. Can you please show me the method of table linking

Thanks

Manoj

What do you mean link? Like to join tables in different dbs? If so, can specify db name in query like 'select * from db.owner.table'.