Thread: Arcserve backup agent for SQL Server, Trouble?

Doug Brown Guest

Arcserve backup agent for SQL Server, Trouble?

This seems to happen just after our backups run. the result is that the SQL Server
    Enterprise Manager can be brought up the next day but nothing can be accessed or
    inquired of. The service is still running, the server is still up and rebooting the server
    resolves the problem.

98/08/06 20:32:31.68 kernel dpdb_asyncread: mirror: Operating system error 6
    (The handle is invalid.) encountered

Is anybody else using Arcserve Backup Agent for SQL Server for Windows NT, RAID 5?
    Have you seen this? I`ve been to MS home page and on technet. No mention of this
    problem. Next stop is Arcserve home page, if they have one. I have read the error logs
    and this is the second time this has happened this week. Both times since we added
    Arcserve to manage our MS SQL Server Database backups.

Best Regards and Thanks for your time.

Steve Oldridge Guest

Arcserve backup agent for SQL Server, Trouble? (reply)

I`ve been running Arcserve (SQL Server Backup Agent)on NT 3.51 and 4.0 machines under Arcserve 6.0 (Enterprise) and RAID controller(s) for alomost 2 yrs without a problem (like this).

Is your kernel message an NT msg ?

If so, it would appear that the problem may not be related to Arcserve but actually an OS or controller issue. It may be triggered by Arcserve.

How far ahead of the System error 6 msg does Arcserve complete the DB backup ?

Have you checked the Arcserve activity log for anything unusual occurring during the backup? You might also find something in the SQL ERRORLOG or the NT Event Log that points to the culprit.

Hope this provides you some assistance.
    Steve Oldridge
    Consultant
    Fidelity Investments