Thread: Installation SQL Server 2000 windoxs XP

Unhappy Installation SQL Server 2000 windoxs XP

After a long time I´m finally changing my laptop which means I will be using Windows XP but sadly I don´t know how to install SQL Server 2000 now and it doesn't work, can anyone help me?
    Tanks in advance.

You can install sql2k personal edition or developer edition or msde on it.

Arrow

Just now that, depending your XP version, you might experienced some problems connecting to your databases.

The MDAC installed by default is a "false" 2.6 version. An incomplete and "bug inside" version which is identified as 2.6 but is not the released one.

When XP was out, only the MDAC 2.5 was out and it has been a severe deploiment issue.

The problem is "randomized". According to my experiences and the MSDN at that time, the problem could occure or not

My advise would be to install at least the MDAC 2.7. It will avoid many problems.

Maybe it is solved with SP1 and SP2 though ...

If you haven't already changed to Windows XP (or bought it yet) I suggest going with Windows 2003 instead. It supports all version of SQL Server.

SQL Server will install MDAC 2.6 by default. So if you isntall SQL Server on Windows XP, you will be using a better version of MDAC, but you should still update it to the latest version of MDAC. It's always good to keep MDAC updated.

That would be running 2003, which is a server edition, on the laptop? Just curious - haven't seen anything about a desktop 2003 version.

Good point. I didn't notice he had said laptop. I see that someone is using SQL Server and automatically think that it is a Server.