Thread: 2 GIG limit

CREVER Guest

2 GIG limit

When creating a database, SQL Server 6.5 seems to have a 2 gig limit. What I mean is that if the device chosen is over 2 gigs SQL Server displays the size of the device as anegative number. This prevents me from being able to expand the database when I need to. Can anyone tell me why this is so, and if there`s anyway around it??

Don Romano Guest

2 GIG limit (reply)

From the Support on www.microsoft.com

"FIX: SEM - Edit Devices Dialog Displays Negative Device Size
    Last reviewed: April 14, 1998
    Article ID: Q135866

The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft SQL Server, versions 6.0 and 6.5
    BUG # 11171 (NT: 6.00, 6.50)

SYMPTOMS
    In Microsoft SQL Server, the SQL Enterprise Manager (SEM) Edit Devices box may show a negative number for the size of a device. This problem only occurs if the device being edited is on a drive that has more than 2 gigabytes (GB) of free space. When this problem occurs, the size of the device cannot be changed in the Edit Devices box.

NOTE: This problem only occurs when using SQL Enterprise Manager on the client, not on the server.

WORKAROUND
    To work around this problem, do either of the following:

Use the DISK RESIZE command to manually increase the size of the device.
    -or-

Install the SQL Server version 6.5 Service Pack 3 on the client. For more information, see the Readme.txt file included with the service pack.

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft SQL Server versions 6.0 and 6.5. This problem has been corrected in U.S. Service Pack 3 for Microsoft SQL Server version 6.5. For more information, contact your primary support provider.

MORE INFORMATION
    If you have already applied SQL Server 6.5 Service Pack 3, you may still experience this problem if the client-side copy of the Sqlew.exe file has not been refreshed from the SQL Server. "

On 8/6/98 12:26:36 PM, CREVER wrote:
    > When creating a database, SQL Server 6.5 seems to have a 2 gig limit. What
    > I mean is that if the device chosen is over 2 gigs SQL Server displays the
    > size of the device as anegative number. This prevents me from being able
    > to expand the database when I need to. Can anyone tell me why this is so,
    > and if there`s anyway around it??