Thread: create virtual cube from local cubes?

create virtual cube from local cubes?

I have a big problem to solve:
    I use MsSqlServer 2000, Analysis service. I have cubes and virtual cubes. I have a dimension of consult, they have a hierarchy that change every month. for example: In june the consult "John" is in D11, in September he is on D14,...
    Hierarchie: D10 -> D11, D12, D13 - > C1, C2..
    For this reason when i want analysis The consult John in a year(12 months) my result is wrong. With this changes in the hierarchie my analysis become wrong!
    I thought in the end of every month store the cube in a local cube, like a picture of every consult, with his sales e others measures. With this i can analysis the consult in a specific month rightly, but i need the anlysis in a year. And in a year i would have 12 local cubes, then i could acess them and do a right analysis. How could i access 12 local cubes? Can i create a virtual cube with this 12 local cubes? Is there another solution for this problem?

Thanks,

Leonardo
    BI Analyst

Any Idea about that?
    Any sugestion?

Are we really talking about local cubes here (.cub files)?

If you want to do ongoing analysis (i.e. across months), why not have a single cube in AS? If that's not plausible - due to size or whatever reason - you might consider a virtual cube to group the cube family into one virtual parent, and then attempt to slice the parent, if necessary, to manage size, when creating your .cub file.

The steps for creating a local cube from an MSAS cube are spelled out in the following Database Journal article:

http://databasejournal.com/features/...0894_3350151_1

Another approach, which might be a backup alternative, is detailed in this Database Journal article:

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/3367761

NOTE: Keep in mind that MSSQL Server 2005 performs some pretty dramatic paradigm shifts - one of these is that "virtual cubes" as we knew them in AS 2000 are not supported. If you're going to migrate, plan accordingly!

Best wishes! Let us know how things go, and what solution you arrive upon ...

Bill