Thread: Help with Distinct function.

Help with Distinct function.

I have a query that returns employee names and reservations they updated for a set date. Here's a simplified version:

Select Employee.Name, Reservation.ResID
    From Employee INNER JOIN Reservation
    ON Employee.EmpID = Reservation.EmpID
    Where Reservation.DateModified BETWEEN '200510010000' AND '200510050000'

The problem is each employee can update the same reservation several times but I only want it to display that record once. The distinct statement doesn't work because I want the EmpID to be listed more than once. Thanks.

just add another column to your select statement Reservation.DateModified

If the reservation is modified twice within that timeframe, it will show up twice in the result. I need it to only show up once. Thanks.

How about using DISTINCT

Select Distinct Employee.Name, Reservation.ResID
    Where Reservation.DateModified BETWEEN '200510010000' AND '200510050000'

Questions: What do you want the outcome to be?

Do you want 1 record for an employee but you don't know if there are multiple reservations and you only want to know if he has a reservation or not between a given time frame?

Do you Want a record for ever time an employee makes a reservation change between a given time frame with the posibility of multiple reservations?

Do you want a record for each change to a reservation between a given time frame for a given employee?

Does the reservation table have multiple records for an employee?

Does the employee table have multiple records for an employee for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Johnson
    Questions: What do you want the outcome to be?

Do you want 1 record for an employee but you don't know if there are multiple reservations and you only want to know if he has a reservation or not between a given time frame?

Do you Want a record for ever time an employee makes a reservation change between a given time frame with the posibility of multiple reservations?

Do you want a record for each change to a reservation between a given time frame for a given employee?

Does the reservation table have multiple records for an employee?

Does the employee table have multiple records for an employee for some reason?
    I want the outcome to list only the first modification of the reservation and by what employee. So the query will list the employee several times and what reservation he/she updated initially. For example, say John updated 5 reservations, two times each, for a total of 10 records. I would like the query to show 5 records of John and the initial update of each reservations.

Yes, the reservation table has an entry (by ResID) for each update. In the above case, there would be a record inserted for each time a reservation was modified.

The employee table has the employee listed only once.

>>
    The problem is each employee can update the same reservation several times but I only want it to display that record once. The distinct statement doesn't work because I want the EmpID to be listed more than once. Thanks
    [..]
    I want the outcome to list only the first modification of the reservation and by what employee. So the query will list the employee several times and what reservation he/she updated initially.
    <<

Like other people here, I think the DISTINCT keyword *should* work because the DISTINCT would apply to the combination of employee ID + reservation ID, so you *should* get the employee appearing more than once. But it might not be optimal for making sure that only the *first* mod is shown...

... Would something like this do what you're looking for (I may be misunderstanding)?

Code:
    Select Employee.Name, Reservation.ResID, 
    MIN(Reservation.DateModified) AS FirstMod
    Where [..]
    Group By Employee.Name, Reservation.ResID
    >L<