Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detaching a database

Detaching a database

I want to move the log files of a database to another drive to get more performance on our sql server. I'm about to detach the database but need to know if I need to mark the Update statistics prior to detach.

Not necessary.

Done. Now what's the best way to see the improvements of moving the ldf files in Performance monitor. Which one do I need to monitor?

You can compare the Disk Queue length, writes/sec, reads/sec for the disk.

I'm running the monitor right now. Do you also suggest defraging the server, I don't remember running since we started using this server in 2001.

I hardly do that myself as my servers are dedicated to sql server and data file/log file drives don't anything except sql files. In that case there is no fragmentation on those disks.

Your situation may be different.

I've asked around about the server and what other functions it did in the past before I got here but they said its been dedicated as a sql server and nothing else. in that case i don't need to defrag it as well. i'll take their word for it. tks.

You may need check table fragmentation with 'dbcc showcontig' instead, defrag them by rebuilding clustered index if necessary.

I'll try to run this now. What would be an acceptable Scan Density..I've read that anything below 90% will benefit from defragmentation.

Should as close to 100% as possible.

I can see a lot of the tables from master and tempdb to have low scan density 12-15%, is this by design?

Don't worry system dbs.

so i just need to worry on the results from the company databases then?

That's right.

Master and msdb tables fragmentation percentage will be higher because of their size. If a table only has two pages and if they are in non contiguous location you gor 50% fragmentation.