I have a weird one. I have 3 maintenance plans that were working for months and now suddenly are sort of not working. The jobs start and then take forever. I stop them from QA (EM doesn't appear to stop them). When I look at the Application log in the event viewer there are no errors because the jobs appeared to freeze. When I look at the maintenenace plan history it says the jobs completed in the usual short amount of time. When I look at the application log it says it did the backups of the data and transaction logs, etc. When I look on the server in the d:\SQL Server\MSSQL\Log directory for that maintenance plan, it says it completed the backups. So, essentially, EM is telling me the jobs haven't completed and everything else tells me the jobs did complete. But I won't feel secure until EM tells me the jobs have actually finished.

I did do a manual backup of one of the databases and then ran that maintenance plan for that database. I canceled the maintenance plan job after a few minutes (how long the job would usually take) and then looked at the size of the .BAK files. They were both exactly the same size.

I'd greatly appreciate any help!