Thread: Urgent -Formated windows and need to restore

Unhappy Urgent -Formated windows and need to restore

Hi all,
    My windows has formated and now I have only my oracle useless files.My last backup is about 1 week old so I want to restore datafiles without using that backup and just by datafiles and controlfiles and ...
    Do you know how is it possible? Can I install new oracle and create a tablespace with using old datafiles?
    -Thanks

yes, if you have all the appropriate files you can restore from this.
    in essence it is considered a cold backup.

BUT...
    you may run into issues if the database was not shut down for these files. in which case you may have to go to your backup. if this is the case you should have archive logs around (if you were in archive log mode) and can roll up through the logs.

good luck.

Hi,

Try using this approach, however I am not sure of consistency.
    You can use your old data files when you install oracle and create a new database or modify an existing database to add datafiles. When you come to the point of specifying the path for your datafiles click on add datafile , type in the location of your old datafiles and check the reuse existing datafile option.
    Be sure to backup your control files after the datafiles are added.
    To be even safer backup your control file prior to adding your old datafiles so that if the database doesn't open due to inconsistent SCN's you can use your previous control file to startup the database assuming no other operations are carried out in between.

Hope this works

Vikram
    Last edited by vikram_gaba; 09-02-2005 at 12:20 PM.