Thread: Tornado & VS2005

Tornado & VS2005

Good news and Flat news...

Good new is that you do not have to change a single line of Tornado code to run on VS2005. All the source re-compile errors are minor except that we have to re-do the entire email module.

The flat news is that there is no excitement at all in VS2005. There is no one item that can stand out and make you feel like paying for it again. More or less like W98 and W95. The formats are changed and MS plays hide and seek well as usual and you'll eventually figure out where to the old features are. Webform is now called Website the first time and WebForm again second time. Code-behind is getting more and more messy and you’ll beginning to lose things there. I still prefer the integrated approach. ADO is back as they were taken away in DotNet 1.x. By now probably every development has already built their own ADO factory and it'll be take a lot to justify using the new ones in case it is taken away again. Now you can split namespaces in several files? Must be fun to follow somebody else code with this feature. New stuff like Master and Details screens? Skins? We have been doing these since 1998. So cannot say anything good about that. There is a built-in server for debug so you do not have to use the full blown IIS. But if you have MapPath stuff then it’ll mess up. So use the original IIS. This local server feature might make sense in days where memory are expensive and CPUs are slow. This is about all I came across during the conversion path. If I miss anything, let me know and we can look into that again.

I have setup a Beta2 account with the same demo code running with an ASP.net 2.0 Tornado DLL. Anyone interested can contact me.

Frank
    Last edited by Frank; 08-08-2005 at 03:55 PM.