Thread: Urgent -How to save not latin dates?

Unhappy Urgent -How to save not latin dates?

Hi there,
    Is there anybody knows how can I save not latin dates in Oracle? I mean for example: Jalali(shamsi) calender or Arabic Calender(Hijri) instead of using Julian Calendar.
    Currently we do this by saving this dates in varchar type and another equivalent Latin datetime(e.g. 2 columns).We perform operations on Latin and then manipulate the varchar column and ofcourse application always will see this varchar column.
    -Thanks alot

Oracle stores date data types in their own internal format which i believe is an offset from some point in time.

anyway, To use a different calendar for display you need only set the NLS_CALENDAR environment variable. Also note that your O/S character set must be able to handle this display.

alter session set NLS_CALENDAR="Arabic Hijrah";

Question

Thanks jkoopmann,
    I want to do this in system level not in session level.This way I should not set it for every session,Am I right?
    Is it possible to alter session set nls_calendar='Persian' using a trigger? Doesn't this beat the performance?
    -Thanks for yout help

yes you can set to Persian
    yes you could use a logon trigger to do this.
    if you want the setting for everyone then you should set in the init.ora parameter file as this is also a system setting.

Thanks Jemes,
    I got the point.But when I tried to set nls_calendar parameter in init.ora and restart Oracle it does not start and says invalid parameter....
    What shoud I do?

Ach,
    Sorry, Oracle documentation said both SESSION & SYSTEM modifiable but I just did another look at it is only SESSION modifiable.

Code:
    SQL > select name,isses_modifiable,issys_modifiable from v$parameter where name = 'nls_calendar';

NAME                 ISSES ISSYS_MOD
    -------------------- ----- ---------
    nls_calendar         TRUE  FALSE

You would have to use a logon trigger or some other means.
    here is a logon trigger if you need one to change.
    Code:
    CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER LOGON_TRIGGER
    AFTER LOGON ON DATABASE
    DECLARE
    BEGIN
    EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'ALTER SESSION SET NLS_CALENDAR=''English Hijrah''';
    END;
    /