Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't start performance log counter

Yep, I figured that out along with NT 2195 is the same as Windows 2000 5 2195. Doh!

Oddly enough, I can't do performance log monitoring remotely but I can do it if I VNC into the server and do it there. I still have no idea why remote monitoring doesn't work.

Is there any problem with doing performance monitoring directly on the server? I'm concerned about performance hits.

Thank you very much for all your help. I really appreciate it!

Does your windows account used on your pc have local admin rights on that server?

Yes, my windows account is in the group of "Administrators" of that server. We use windows authentication, so I log in as me and I'm in the group of local admins. When I look at the Performance Log Service, it says Login as Local System.

Are you sure you are logging in with a your regular domain account (the account you log into your workstation) when you use VNC, and not a local account (check the domain drop down box)?

To be sure on permissions check the Security event log each time you try starting the service over the network and through VNC (the server must be auditing privilege use for this to show up).

Smile Can't see Performance Log counters

Thanks for the info; I didn't know how to audit permissions.

I am logging in as my regular domain account, not as a local account. It does work if I VNC into the server and start the service that way or if I use RDP to work on the server. Now the only way it doesn't work is if I'm on my machine, open PerfMon and try to do remote monitoring. Since I've found a way to make it work, I can move forward now and move on to the next task - figure out what to do with the data I'm collecting!

Thanks to everyone who helped out - you guys are a life saver!

When you vnc to server, which windows account used to login that server? Use yours or someone else?

When I vnc to the server I am using my normal windows account.

And you login server with your account?

Yep, I login to server with my account and I'm a local admin on that machine. I've set up RDP to do the monitoring and that seems to work fine.