Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't start performance log counter

Hybrid View

Can't start performance log counter

I'm a local admin on a SQL Server with dba permissions. I can view that SQL Server in System Monitor and I can create a performance log counter. When I try to start the counter, I get an error: ---------------------------
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    ---------------------------
    The SQLSever log or alert has not started. Refresh the log or alert list to view current status, or see the application event log for any errors. Some logs and alerts might require a few minutes to start, especially if they include many counters.
    OK

Does anyone have ideas why this isn't working?

Check if Performance Log and Alerts service is running (from control panel - services)

Can't see Performance Log counters

I got into Services and tried to start the Performance Log service. I tried both automatic and manual and they appear to start and then immediately stop.

Is it running with local system account?

Do you see any error in event log for the service?

Try running it from command line useing NET START command, this way you can see the error.

It is running as the local system account.

I don't see any errors in the event log.

I'm unfamiliar with Net Start. For the Net start command do you just type:
    net start Performance Logs and Alerts

Should be

net start "Performance Logs and Alerts"

May get same sresult since you can't run it in services applet. Should have message in windows system event log.

Thanks very much for your ideas. The weird thing is that the service starts and then immediately stops. So it's not a permissions problem. I used the net start command and looked at the window and it said the service was started, but then when I hit refresh in the computer management screen the status is blank instead of "Started". Ugh.

Do you get any error in system event logs?. If you see any performance counter related messages, you may have to re-load the counters.

There were no errors either in the system log or the application log but the service didn't remain started.

How would I re-load the counters?

Tried start the service with other account? Do you have any group policy to prevent you to start that service?

Our network admin tried it, since he has all permissions and he at least got an error "Internal Windows 2000 error occurred" with error # 2140.

We have no group policies.

Any other error message in windows event log? Which win2k sp the server has?

It's running Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP 4. I've never gotten any errors in the system log or the application log, which seems very odd.

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm VNC'ing into the machine, and don't know if I need any remote monitoring services set up as well.

I just found something odd. When I look at the computer running SQL Server, it says it's Windows 2000 5.0. But looking at the properties of SQL Server it says the operating system is MS Windows NT (2195) 8.00.760 SP3. I don't see how it can have 2 different versions of the operating systems.

No, 8.00.760 SP3 is sql version number. Anyone tried start the service on the server directly?