Thread: SQl Server Full Text Search

SQl Server Full Text Search

I have a server that has windows 2000 with Sql Server Enterprise edition sp3 installed and we are currently using the full text catalogs. I have another server that we have are trying to use the full text catalogs and it does not populate the catalog. I have check the microsoft search service to make sure it is logged in the same. I have gone through and recreated the catalogs twice and they will not populate. Can anyone give me any suggestion of things I can look for, Please ??

Is startup account of microsoft search service a member of sql sysadmin on that server?

Is the database enabled for full text?.

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTY('Pubs', 'IsFulltextEnabled')

Does it return 1?

If it does, check if any table is enabled for fulltext.

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/1445201

On both machines the Microsoft search service is logged in as local account.

Does builtin\administrators have sa rights on that server then?

I ran the query SELECT DATABASEPROPERTY('Pubs', 'IsFulltextEnabled')
    and the result was one. I then went to the site and went through and read. I still have the problem.

yes builtin\administrators has rights on that machine.

Check windows application event log, there should have ms search related error messages. Post them if possible.

I checked the event log and there were messages but this is what it says in the message :
    look at the file using the gatherer log query object (gthrlog.vbs, log viewer web page).

Do you know how to look at those files ? where is the log viewer ?

Not sure for that one. Try repopulate the catalog then check app event log for recent messages.

These are the errors that I got in the following order :
    The crawl seed <MSSQL75://SQLServer/46e78a0c> in project <SQLServer SQL0000700005> cannot be accessed. Error: 800700e9 - No process is on the other end of the pipe. .

The crawl for project <SQLServer SQL0000700005> could not be started, because no crawl seeds could be accessed. Fix the errors and try the crawl again.

The end of crawl for project <SQLServer SQL0000700005> has been detected. The Gatherer successfully processed 0 documents totaling 0K. It failed to filter 1 documents. 0 URLs could not be reached or were denied access.

The catalog was not propagated, because no new files were detected for the project <SQLServer SQL0000700005>.

have youever seen these messages before?

I wnet out to google with that error code and someone else had posted this same error on the SQL forum. I looked at their entries and they also talekd about the built in administrator. I looked at the builtin administrator again and noticed it had access through membership. I changed it to grant access and then repopulated and it work. Thanks for going back and forth with me.

Another way to fix the problem is that add 'nt authority\system' as sysadmin.