Thread: Oracle Portfolio

Oracle Portfolio

Hi,

I am a newbie in Oracle. And I want to be a DBA / database developer. I would like to know if it is a good idea to create a portfolio which I can show my work during interview.

please give me some advices! Or what should i have in my portfolio?

Thanks

yes, but keep it somewhat high level.
    maybe an apendix to your resume.
    just don't go over board with code.

anything to set yourself apart is always a good idea.

I am currently taking a course called Database Design II and Structured Query Language. Do you think it is good to put my homework as part of my portfolio? After reading couple of forums, it seems it is hard for a db newbie to get a dba job. should i try to get a db developer job first? if so, what should I do to get a db developer job?

Thanks

No, interviewers don't want to see homework. If you include some code that you've done as part of your homework, don't tell them that it was your homework.

Start up a project of your own. Build it in your spare time and use that. It would be best if it was some sort of web application so that a potential employer can pull it up and see it in action.

I'll give you a hint on what interviewers like to see. Interviewers want someone that realizes that their own ability has limits and therefore they are constantly trying to learn more.

Last time I hired a database developer for my department (I'm the dba which makes me the head of the data department), I immediately dismissed all applications that listed their database skill level as being "expert". I've found that the more skilled and savvy a database person is, the more they realize that they are not experts.

I am pursuing a DBA position. is it easier for me to get a DB developer job first?

This is really dependent upon what is available in your area and where your skills lie and the interviews you can actually land.

the job market is still very tough, go after both and see what you can land.

hi jkoopmann,

you mean that i should go for PL/SQL certifications as well as OCP certifications?

should i tak PL/SQL in order to be DB developer?

thanks

this thread seems to be jumping around a bit.
    the job interview questions are somewhat easy to answer but when it comes to your choice in job skills, especially when just starting out, it is something you must look deep down and figure out what it is your really enjoy doing. both developer and dba positions are a good choice. make one and go after it.