Thread: New to Excel add-in for Analysis Services

New to Excel add-in for Analysis Services

I´ve been trying the Excel 2003 Add-in for Analysis Services because after reading the white paper from Microsoft it seemed to be a good client of Analysis Services. I´m getting trouble to make it work right, maybe some of you can help :

-Can I insert a formula as a result of applying "cubecellvalue" to a "cubemember" function?

-How do I calculate a variance, meaning the percentage of sales for example? Is it possible to divide a "cubecellvalue" into another one?

-How do I format the Excel sheet so that the format changes when drilling-up and down?

Thanks in advance.

Online Help Resource ...

Good Morning:

I know nowbody likes this answer, but did you get a copy of the online help ("Cube Analysis Help") with the download, as well as the "white paper"? The questions you ask appear to be addressed there; for example, the use of functions (the very ones you mention, among others) is addressed in separate areas for freeform and structured reports, drillthrough has several entries, troubleshooting is there, etc.

The file is called "Reporthelp.chm," and, frankly, I imagine it would be hard to work with the add-in without it, as there is little published surrounding its use elsewhere ... I use it at several clients as a "quick and dirty" budgeting tool, as well as for other purposes - pretty nifty, especially in light of its price - not too great for writeback to cubes, but there are far better ways anyway ...

In addition, the "expand" features in the help don't hold positions for printing, which is cumbersome if you want to print the whole out. I use a .chm decompiler that gets me there much more satisfactorily.

Good Luck.

Bill