Thread: Tornado - GridAdd

Tornado - GridAdd

Are there basic requirements needed for a GridAdd? Unfortunately the main site does not give a grid add example (or I just couldn't find it). Is it possible to get an example or be steered in the right direction?

John M

It is all there in the manual and yes, it is hard to pick them out. We have a MSDN type manual at work and with this one, you'll have no problem. I'll finish up the Grid Editing session and then I'll let you preview that.

FRank

OK, let me know when it's ready... thanks as always.

John M

OK.. been working with a few users on the MSDN type manual. The problem with the ASP-db manual is that the cross referencing is not good at all. Plus the biggest problem is not the manual but the nature of ASP-db as an application tool and not a component. The conclusion is that the examples should be more clear in a progressive manner. I have been working with several users on different subjects like - sort, SP, VS.Net and now Edit. For example - some users are not taking advantage of the VS IDE in developing the aspx applciations. Please go to this unfinished manual and the Edit sections. Please give me comments as soon as you lose track. I'll add examples to clarify right away. All examples are cut/pasted tested. I'll sedn you the latest Dll which include all the latest updates reflected in this unfinished manual.

http://www.aspdb.com/tornadomanual/index.html

BTW, this MSDN type manual works on the Web as well as a Single stand alone .chm file...

Frank

Yes, please send me the new dll when you get a chance... I copied and pasted the basic gridadd/gridupdate and nothing comes up when the page loads (blank screen).

Thank You,
    John Mooney

Latest Dll

Sent - to Paul's address.

FK

Frank-

got the new dll... but I can't seem to get any gridadd example working at all... the following code was in that manual link that you sent, but i do not get anything to come on the screen.... let me know what's up.

Thanks,
    John M

-----------------------------------------------------------

<script language="VB" runat="server">
    Sub Page_Load(Src As Object, E As EventArgs)
    Dim X As New Tornado.z
    X.dbQP = "U=1|S=1|M=Grid!sys=t|D=Nwind|ni=b5,add,gridadd,up date,gridupdate|
    Q=Employees| bm=employees;0|gdf=1,2,3"
    X.dbTextHolder = "Title=Normal & Grid Edit"
    X.dbCommonTables = "ind=TT|value=Mr.,Ms.,Dr.,Mrs."
    X.dbEditUpdateFlds = "fi=0|Ty=RONOUP,1,2,HireDate,HomePhone"
    X.dbEditGridUpdateFlds = "fi=0|Ty=RONOUP,1,2"
    X.dbEditAddFlds = "1,2,3,HomePhone"
    X.dbEditGridAddFlds = "1,2,fi=4|Ty=SelectBox|val=TT|Tex=TT,HireDate"
    X.dbDebug = "EditAction"
    X.dbGridUpdateTemplate = "<h2>My Grid Update template</h2><P> [[GridUpdate]]<BR>[[GridNav]]"
    X.dbGridAddTemplate = "<h2>My Grid Add template</h2><P>[[GridAdd]]<BR>[[GridNav]]"
    X.dbEditGridAddSQL = "INSERT INTO Orders (lastname,Firstname,TitleOfCourtesy,HireDate)
    VALUES ('[[1]]','[[2]]','[[4]]',#[[6]]#)"
    X.dbEditGridUpdate = True
    X.dbEditGridAdd = True
    End Sub
    </script>

where is the X.ASPdbNet() line ?

FK

Sorry, I just copied and pasted it from your online help manual... didn't really pay attention to what was actually in the code.

***Added this one line and it still does not work. I get a 'document.ASPDBFORM_1' is null or not an object' error when I press "GO" (In GRIDADD). It doesn't even get to execute the SQL... somehow it's conflicting with Javascript??? I don't know... let me know if you need anything else.

John M

let me know after you tried out the patch. The previous code works if there is a validation. now it is fixed

FK

Yes, it works now.
    Also, I'm guessing EditValidateName does not work with GridAdd? I tried to do a javascript call, but it didnt work. Is this possible? I need to change some hidden fields depending on what the user enters. I CAN do this in the single edit mode.... but not in Grid Add... ANY THOUGHTS??

Thanks
    John M

JS in Grid edit mode? I have to look into that.

BTW, Have you looked at the new MSDN manua?. all the new patches will conform to that manual.

FK

Yes I looked at it... it's quite a useful tool to use.
    Should I be expecting you to get back at me soon about the JS in GridAdd or should I just work around it?

John M

I have to finish the new manual before I can get to new features....

FK
    Last edited by Frank; 06-30-2005 at 09:15 AM.

Smile

Well, it turns out to be the button type in the grid add screen and nothing to do with the JS with is user's responsibility to program that, one cell or many cells. I'll check it out more and make a few examples before I send the patch.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Frank