Thread: Default values in Access 2000

Default values in Access 2000

Hi all

I am trying to assign a default value to a field in an Access table. The default value is generated in a function which is declared as PUBLIC in a module.

So far so good. When trying to assign this function as the default value to a field in a table in the same db, Access does not recognize the function.

However in a query or in a form I can reference and call the function without any problem.

Can anybody give me a hint if and how the function can be used inside the table definition?

Thanks in advance
    Andi

can you assign the value the function generates to the field default property from within code when your application starts up ?

No, the users enter new records into the table and there are some fields (eg timestamp and NTuser) which I want to fill automatically. The timestamp is not a problem, because I can now() is an inbuild function which can be assigned a the default value of a table field. The NTuser is determined from a VB function which, although defined as Public is not usable as the default value.

We worked around the problem by designing a form for the data entry, where it is no problem to assign a VB function as the default value of a field. However I do not really understand why the default value of a form field is handled different than the default value of a table.

Anyway thanks for spending time on my post :-)

Just had a thought andi - is the function you've created in the same project as your table? What I mean is, the function will not work if it's in a project where the table that calls it is linked. er...am I making sense?

Good thought, but unfortunately not applicable because it is a single mdb containing tables and code

if u r trying to get the environment variable username from that VB code, try setting default value as
    =ENVIRON("USERNAME")

It gives the username from XP.