Thread: search condition in MS Access

Smile search condition in MS Access

Hai,

May I know the query to how to create a "exact word" search condition using MS Access database in my program, which uses ASP as a scripting language.

Select *
    From YourTable
    Where SomeField = 'A_Word'

Smile search condition

hai,
    Sorry,let me make the scenario clear. I want a search condition ,like how the search condition will work in the "search box" in the websites. Mine is a net shopping project and if the customer wants something specific, my search should search in my database table for that exact word and yield the result.

That's what this sample query is telling you:

Select *
    From YourTable
    Where SomeField = 'A_Word'

The "Where SomeField = 'A_Word'" is the search criteria portion of the query. "A_Word" is representative fo the user entered word(s).

In ASP code you would need a search form:

Code:
    <form action="/SearchResults.asp" method="get">
    	<b>Search By Keyword(s): </b>
    	<br>
    	<input type="text" size="15" name="keywords" id="keywords" maxlength="50" value="<%=Request("keywords")%>"> <input type="submit" value="Go">
    </form>

Then in SearchResults.asp, you would build your SQL Query:

Code:
    Dim SQL

If Len(Trim(Request("Keywords"))) > 0 Then
    	SQL = "Select * From MyTable Where KeywordField Like '*" & Trim(Request("Keywords")) & "*'"
    End If
    Then output the results to the page.

Unhappy Hai, it is not working

Hai.
    That query is not working, but neither it shows an error. It simply displays as if there was no data present matching the search criteria. But if I put % instead it is working, but yielding all the results. For ex, if i put "men", it is giving the result for "women" too, because men is included in women. So will u please clarify that. Thanks a lot in advance.

What version of Access are you using? I think only the newest version uses % as the wildcard operator. Prior to that Access used * as the wildcard operator.

If you don't want to do pattern matching, then simply do this:

Dim SQL

If Len(Trim(Request("Keywords"))) > 0 Then
    SQL = "Select * From MyTable Where KeywordField = '" & Trim(Request("Keywords")) & "'"
    End If

Unhappy Again again the same probs

Hai,

Thank u Mr. Rawhide for ur replies. But i want only the exact word outputs. Can't we do that in the newer version of the MS Access. I'm using the latest version xp.