Thread: I'm i backing up something

Question I'm i backing up something

Hello,

We're running MSSQL on a windows 2003 server and we are using the backup function from SQL to make backup files. These files are backup on tape. But how can i be sure that the files are being made and i can use them for a backup. Can anybody help me?

Thanks
    Mickey

Don't understand what you mean. When you backup db with sql statement 'backup database db_name to disk = ... with init ...', system will carete db backup file. And you can restore db from that file.

restore command with verifyonly will tell you whether the backup file is useful or not. The right way to find this is to test the backup file on the tape by restoring it on a test server .

I dont want to restore but i want to know if the *.bak file made by the SQL server has been made. I want to be sure that the file is there. So that in case of an emergancy we can restore a file not older than 24 hours.
    I want an E-mail when the backup file has been made. Is this possible??

Then just check the file in windows explorer. And you can set sql job notification to message you once job complete if sql agent mail is working.

Thumbs up

"you can set sql job notification to message you once job complete if sql agent mail is working." Thats what i want. How do i set it up?

You should create operators in sql agent, and specify email address and/or net send message address. Then in sql job, go to notifications tab and assign operator who should receive email or net message.