Thread: Application slow - running Double Take 4.4 on SQL 2000

Question Application slow - running Double Take 4.4 on SQL 2000

Hi,

We are having SQL2000 Advance Server.
    4 processor with hypherthreading, Memory 4 GB and it is a high transactional OLTP server. We are also running Transaction Replication on that server.

We recently bought Double Take and implemented on the server with File Difference with block check sum option for Disaster Recovery Purpose.
    The Queue and the Log file folder is on local drive where the system doesn't use that folder except double take.

We are replicating from Source to Taget thru the WAN (DS3).We are replicating approx. 200 Gig of Data but just the difference.
    Now the CPU usage is normal,Memory utilization is normal, but the network is a major problem as the Applications connecting to the Server timesout and the applications running very slow.

We have set just like the Tech support recommended.

I would appreciate, if someone give us some recommendations to run the double take without any problem.

Thanks in advance.
    Anu
    Last edited by Anu; 06-06-2005 at 12:17 PM.

Where did you put DT spool? May have disk contention. And you can check how many bytes replicated daily in DT console, may need more bandwidth if you get big number.

Re:

I set everything as default,
    And also this is the first time I am replicating. I took the database backup and tranlog backup and copied to the target and restored on another server, detach the databases on that server and then started the difference mirror with block checksum

Our Source has approx 200 Gig in a single replica set. (we had multiple replica set for every database before).
    As per Tech support we have only one replica set now . The DL Queue for queuing is on the dedicated drive approx.25 gig free.replicated 1,23,000 bytes approx. Within 8 hrs approx (after hours), it mirrored 30 % of data and skipped mirror was 12 gig out of 200 gig.
    When lot of users were started logging into the source system in the daytime, we got slowness in the application as the transactions started increasing tremondously. We haven't completed the initial difference mirror yet. We stopped the mirror,replication and transmission, but still was giving problems. So we manually disconnected the source and Target. After the disconnection our applications are running as normal.

-Anu
    Last edited by Anu; 06-06-2005 at 04:16 PM.

You should work with DT support for the issue, default settings don't work for everyone.