Thread: Getting Tables to "Talk" to the DB

Getting Tables to "Talk" to the DB

I need the name, author, where to find a good book, doggone good one, on how to make tables "talk" to the database.

We were working on the one table in our database (needing many tables to be joined together for later) and were able to get one table and its data to show on the database but could not get the other table to show -- it was correct in the SQL code but would not appear up on the monitor screen.

Forgive if I don't use the correct words, phrases, terms.

Also where can I find more information on keys and their interaction within the database?

Thanks

dhabi,
    we really need a bit more information here.

what database are you using?
    what specifically are you doing where you experience the "no show" from a table?
    please give any utilities, software, platforms you are using.

we will then try and take it from there.

On the Help Part

Thanks jkoopmann for your really prompt reply!

Weeelll, I am going to try to use Linux because my ISP tells me it is a much more secure system. Also, that if I use Microsoft I will have to pay a big yearly fee.

So the database = Linux
    I gather that MySql is going to be with that as the mssql is also MS as well as the asp.net language. She had really liked the asp.net but would that not be impossible to use with Linux?

If I have to use Perl or Emu or Euphoria, which would be the best? Do any of these have the programs of asp.net or just wishful thinking.

I am going to have to look at a private co-location server since I do not have high speed Internet connections.

Will I need to purchase both a dedicated regular server and a database server or could I just have one?

Soo many questions

Any OS has security issues of it's own. That's not really a valid reason to choose Linux over Windows. And what yearly fee are you talking about? MS licences are one-time fees, not yearly. The licensing fee for MS SQL is HUGE though.

Linux/MySQL is a good choice as is Windows/MS SQL. If you go with Linux/MySQL, PHP is good choice for programming language. It is tailor made for Linux and MySQL.

There are ASP.Net versions that use PERL or PHP.

Whether to use the same server for database and web server or not depends heavily on how much each are going to be used. For small applications with little traffic, you can get away with having them on the same server. I always use separate servers myself though.

Robert.

Maybe I am getting closer

I have the availability to connect to a long distance server (my database server) via FTP using the platform Dreamweaver. This would be within a MS database, using ASP.NET and MS SQL.

I believe on the database server I will need 2x250G SATA drives in a hardware RAID-1 configuration with SDSI drives and ports. QUESTION: Would 3 SATA drives be needed -- & I realize that if one drive fails the whole array is lost!!

QUESTION: On the backup, what is needed so that there is a nightly backup?

QUESTION: Is there a better language than ASP.NET to use in this context?

QUESTION: Where/what is the best book to obtain on making this database, which is large and complex?

QUESTION: Are there any programs, compatible with Dreamweaver, that have the coding set up, easier to use?

QUESTION: Is there a platform better, easier to use than Dreamweaver? We downloaded the free version, paid for any updated version and could not get ANY support.

Hardware is my weak spot, so I'll leave the first question to someone else.

For backups, my personal suggestion is to create a Maintenance Task that backs up all of the databases nightly at your slowest time (around 2 AM usually). Then backup the backup directory to a tape drive.

In my opinion, the best language to use is the one that you are most familiar with and most comfortable working with. ASP.Net does provide a lot of improvements, power, and development ease over regular ASP, if you are comfortable using it.

Your best friend is Books Online that gets installed with the MS SQL client tools.

I'm not a Dreamweaver user, so I can't really compare other tools to it. I use Visual Studio.Net and Visual Studio 6 (for regualr ASP). Before investing in VS.Net though, try out Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

And if you'd really like to go with ASP.Net, take a look at the ASP.Net website. You'll get a lot of resources, code samples, and advice there: http://www.asp.net

In raid 1, you will not lose whole array if one of the disk fails.