Thread: Newbie needs help with query not working

Newbie needs help with query not working

Hi there,
    can an expert help me out here. I am very new to writing Database queries and in honesty I am not at all sure what I am doing.

I have a script in PHP that should query the database and the resulting output should produce a .CSV file. Whenever I run the script I get the following error message:

processing order ?ordernum=nnn using template template-ebay.html...Connected to database..
    You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'FROM categories_description, orders_products , products , products_to_categories' at line 2
    Couldn't execute query: SELECT orders_products.orders_id, orders_products.products_model, orders_products.products_name, products.products_image, orders_products.final_price, categories_description.categories_name, products_description.products_description, FROM categories_description, orders_products , products , products_to_categories, products_description WHERE products_description.products_id = products.products_id AND products.products_id = orders_products.products_id AND products_to_categories.products_id = orders_products.products_id AND products_to_categories.products_id = products.products_id AND categories_description.categories_id = products_to_categories.categories_id AND (orders_products.orders_id=?ordernum=nnn) GROUP BY products.products_model ORDER BY orders_products.orders_id

The query is exactly as stated above in the error message. I am going round in circles trying to sort it out. Can anyone here help me out with it please.

regards

Mogsta

You don't need a comma just before the FROM :
    And could you tell us why you put this? "AND (orders_products.orders_id=?ordernum=nnn)"

Give it a try with this:

SELECT orders_products.orders_id, orders_products.products_model, orders_products.products_name, products.products_image, orders_products.final_price, categories_description.categories_name,products_de scription.products_description FROM categories_description, orders_products , products , products_to_categories, products_description WHERE products_description.products_id = products.products_id AND products.products_id = orders_products.products_id AND products_to_categories.products_id = orders_products.products_id AND products_to_categories.products_id = products.products_id AND categories_description.categories_id = products_to_categories.categories_id GROUP BY products.products_model ORDER BY orders_products.orders_id

Many thanks for the response. It was indeed the comma which caused the problem.

regards

Mogsta

Hello,

I'm struggling with the same problem.

Can somebody tell me what's wrong?
    Here's part of the php-script:

$rasgroep = $_POST['selectrasgroep'];
    $sekse = $_POST['sekse'];
    $leeftijd = $_POST['leeftijd'];
    $anderekatten = $_POST['anderekatten'];
    $kanbijhonden = $_POST['kanbijhonden'];
    $kinderen = $_POST['kinderen'];
    $binnenblijven = $_POST['binnenblijven'];
    $buiten = $_POST['buiten'];

$query = " SELECT nr, naam, sekse ";
    $query = query . " FROM kat ";
    //rasgroep
    if ($rasgroep != "alles") {
    $query = query . " WHERE rasgroep = \"$rasgroep\"; ";
    }

//sekse
    if ($sekse != "maaktnietuit" ) {
    $query = query . " AND sekse = \"$sekse\"; ";
    }

//leeftijd
    if ($leeftijd != "maaktnietuit" ) {
    $query = query . " AND leeftijd = \"$leeftijd\"; ";
    }

//anderekatten
    if ($anderekatten != "maaktnietuit" ) {
    $query = query . " AND anderekatten = \"$anderekatten\"; ";
    }

//kanbijhonden
    if ($kanbijhonden != "maaktnietuit" ) {
    $query = query . " AND kanbijhonden = \"$kanbijhonden\"; ";
    }

//kinderen
    if ($kinderen != "maaktnietuit" ) {
    $query = query . " AND kinderen = \"$kinderen\"; ";
    }

//binnenblijven
    if ($binnenblijven != "maaktnietuit" ) {
    $query = query . " AND binnenblijven = \"$binnenblijven\"; ";
    }

//buiten
    if ($buiten != "maaktnietuit" ) {
    $query = query . " AND buiten = \"$buiten\"; ";
    }

This is one of the errors I keep getting: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'query AND leeftijd = "volwassen"; ' at line 1.query AND leeftijd = "volwassen";

Thanks in advance

(BAD)
    $query = query . " WHERE rasgroep = \"$rasgroep\"; ";

(GOOD)
    $query = $query . " WHERE rasgroep = \"$rasgroep\"; ";

So, do not forget to replace "query" by "$query" 9 times in your script..

Note: Before you duplicate a line in your program make sure it original works

Good luck!