Thread: Create Dimensons HELP

Create Dimensons HELP

I CREATE A DIMENSION on Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services BUT IT SHOW TO ME A MESSAGE OF ERROR:
    Analysis Server Error: Surpassed the maximum of 64,000 secondary elements of member of dimension for a single primary element.

WHAT I CAN DO, HELP ME, IS A EMERGENCY. THANKS
    Last edited by victor_msj; 05-05-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Can you translate the error message to English? Or what's error number?

You can only have 64000 members for a single parent using AS. If you need to have more than this, you will need to add another level to you dimension so that this 64000 member rule is not violated.

e.g. if you have a dimension with levels company and employees. A single company may have more than 64,000 employees which would cause this error.

As a way to work around this you could add another level to the dimension. This could be something to do with the corporate structure (departments etc).

If there is no business related dimension that can be used, you could create a dimension based on something like the first character or 2 of the level causing the 64000 problem.

I add another level but when I show the data show to me

Unable to browse the dimension 'Example'
    The dimension cannot be displayed until a cube that contains it has been processed.

I process the dimension

Did you process cube?

Yes i Process the cube

Stratification is the Answer ...

Victor:

The easiest, quickest approaches to this involve the stratification of your large population, through the creation of intermediate level-groups, to "break down" the too-large group into digestible subgroups. This can be done manually or "automatically."

First, and best, if you wish to precisely / aesthetically control the nature of the groupings, is to manually create levels. An example: Say I have 150,000 members in a "customer" group - I could easily break these into a "sublevel" that stratifies them by alphabetic ranges ("A-F," "G-L," "M-S," etc.) This way, I group them into populations well below the limitation. A possible drawback – I may have to return to “regroup,” if I fail to forehandedly leave enough “room” in the constituent groups for growth, and the “membership” itself reaches the 64,000 limitation.

You can also perform a similar approach through the use of Member Groups (established in a setting within the Dimension Editor, by selecting the level under consideration, then Advanced Properties pane). A dimension level can contain member groups, which are system-generated (the action is "automatic") parents of collections of consecutive dimension members. End users see no difference between member groups and ordinary members, and a "buffer" / intermediate level for drilldown can be provided between a level, say, with few members and one with numerous members.

In either approach, among others, dimension levels (including various procedures at the source data level) can also be used to satisfy the requirement of having no more than 64,000 members under a parent member.

Let us know if this is useful. Good Luck.

Bill