Thread: crosstab alternate hierarchies of an MSAS cube using Cognos

crosstab alternate hierarchies of an MSAS cube using Cognos

Good day all

I am unable to crosstab different alternate hierarchies of an MSAS cube from a single dimension, I'm using Cognos Powerplay (7.3 web and client) to browse the data. v 7.1 displays the same behaviour.

When I try to create the crosstab the display replaces both rows and columns to the alternate path, it overwrites the original path. Can anyone tell me if this is a Cognos issue or an Analysis services one and if there is any way around it. The only solution I have at the moment is to bodge it by creating seperate dimensions for each alternate hierarchy however this is ugly and difficult to use.

Regards
    Mike

Same problem

Mike,

I've had the same problem and performed the same work-around as you mentioned. I don't have this problem with other OLAP tools like ProClarity or Panorama so I assume this is a Cognos problem. I'm also using PowerPlay 7.3. I haven't contacted Cognos to see if there is a solution but I'd be interested in knowing if you find out one.

Good luck,

Paul

It sounds as if you are attempting to duplicate a dimension across multiple axes. I hope I understand the requirement ...

Even though you are using PowerPlay as the reporting application (I use it a great deal, mostly to convert it to Reporting Services, these days, but I have implemented the Cognos suite for over eleven years). I have published an article that specifically addresses one approach to this, at the cube level, in graphic detail. Follow this link:

http://www.databasejournal.com/feat...cle.php/3490561

Let us know how it goes. If this doesn't help, I'll attempt to replicate the problems in my own lab.

Have a great weekend, and good luck.

Bill

Thanks Bill

Could you please re post the link, the one given simply directs me to the databasejournal home page.

Regards
    Mike

Sorry! i split it up below to get rid of the ellipses ("..."). Don;t know why the text editor does that!

Just join the strings below and past them into the address bar, etc.

www.databasejournal.com/features/

mssql/article.php/3490561

Let us know if this helps!

Good Luck.

Bill

test

Originally posted by Island1
    Sorry! i split it up below to get rid of the ellipses ("..."). Don;t know why the text editor does that!

Just join the strings below and past them into the address bar, etc.

www.databasejournal.com/features/

mssql/article.php/3490561

Let us know if this helps!

Good Luck.

Bill
    testing link

www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3490561

Re: test

Trying again:

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/3490561

Hope this works for you. Post us on the usefulness of the approach suggested in the article.

Thanks!

Bill