I am a Cognos developer (10 years) and am frustrated with the apparent lack of MSAS ability to replicate Cognos measure scope / allocation features.

I have built three cubes, Sales Info, Store Count, and Date Count and wrapped these into a virtual cube (Sales Reporting). Both the Store Count and Date Count cubes have just a single dimension and a single measure each (Distinct counts of Stores and of Days respectively), this is my attempt at replicating the use of several fact queries with differing scope in Cognos Transformer. In my virtual cube I wish the distinct counts to be allocated constantly within dimensions that are out of scope. For instance if I have product categories as rows and my measures as columns then I wish to see the total number of stores on each row and the number of days in the date range so that I can calculate a few ratio's. I do not wish to see the number of stores that sold products in each category or the number of days products in that category were sold, which is what I see if I use distinct count measures in a cube with the exact same dimensionality.

All that I have been able to achieve is something similar to Cognos's 'do not allocate', zero's appear down the list of categories in out of scope dimensions.

TIA