Thread: Chart - bar colors

Question Chart - bar colors

Hi All,

I like RS for SQL server.
    However, I am surprised (and frustrated) how limited the chart capabilities are; perhaps we have been spoiled by Excel...

Anyway, is there any way to change the color of the chart bars programatically.
    I can select different schemas (excel, pastel, grayscale, etc) but I need to go a little bit further, is that much to ask?

Oh, by the way, we can't mix chart styles, can't we?
    Need to show a chart and a line in the same report...

I appreciate your help on this, hopefully any answers to my questions might also help with other RS users with the same needs,

Thanks,
    L

Re:

I found the solution myselft, I didn't have the Service Pack 2 installed. The SP2 allows you to change the bar colors programatically.

Now... no idea if there is any workaround to include two styles (bar and lines) in the same chart.

cheers,

L

change the color of the chart bars

Hi,

I am searching for same, Please can u help if you found any way.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Ravi Muppavaram.
    Microsoft.
    DID:+65 6882 8637 | HP:+65 9145 6993 | mailto:i-ravim@microsoft.com | IM:ags_mkravi@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by lumaar
    Hi All,

I like RS for SQL server.
    However, I am surprised (and frustrated) how limited the chart capabilities are; perhaps we have been spoiled by Excel...

Anyway, is there any way to change the color of the chart bars programatically.
    I can select different schemas (excel, pastel, grayscale, etc) but I need to go a little bit further, is that much to ask?

Oh, by the way, we can't mix chart styles, can't we?
    Need to show a chart and a line in the same report...

I appreciate your help on this, hopefully any answers to my questions might also help with other RS users with the same needs,

Thanks,
    L

Re:

Ravi,

For the colors of the bar programatically, make sure you have the reporting services Service Pack 2 installed and browse the properties of the data value.

There is no way to include two types of chart together. However you can have a column and a second data values as a Plot line and that would simulate a paretto chart (columns and a line) That's all the best you can do with this version of RS. (perhaps in 2005 version this might change)

hope it helps

Lumaar

change bar color

Hi Lumaar,
    Thanks for Replay, now I am using SSRS 2005 (IDW14) , I didn't find any such service or any other option. Can you give suggestions?

Ravi,

Ravi,

I am just using SQL Server 2000 RS with the service pack 2 which I downloaded from here
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporti...s/default.mspx

to change the color programmatically, go to:

Chart properties
    Data tab
    Edit Values
    Appearance tab
    Series style
    Fill tab and change the color of the background using a predefined color or an expression.

You can also click on "Plot data as line" under the same appearance tab to draw a line among columns.

I am not sure in 2005 how this is layed out, haven't tried it yet

Lumaar

change bar color

lumaar,
    Thanks Very much,
    They incorporated with SSRS 2K5. process is same as what you told.
    Regards,
    Ravi m.

How to control the columns bar space.

Hi lumaar,
    how can u control space between bars, in my cahrt i am using Columns chart, Showing something Type and A,B,C groups, for Each Type need to show A,B,C.

Type1(A,B,C)
    Type2(A,B,C)
    Type3(A,B,C)
    Type4(A,B,C)
    i need to give bit more space between Type1,2,3,4. how can we set it? any way?
    Cheers
    Ravi.