Thread: oracle predefined roles vs ms sql roles

oracle predefined roles vs ms sql roles

Hi! Can anyone say which ms sql server predefined roles are similar to the following oracle predefined roles: dba, connect, resource. I already know that sysadmin in MS SQL Server is the same as DBA in Oracle but what about the rest?
    Thanks a lot.

If you can expolain what the Oracle connect and resource roles to me, I can tell you what MS SQL roles are similar, if any.

Or you can look at permissions each ms sql server role has then compare to those oracle roles.

Originally posted by Rawhide
    If you can expolain what the Oracle connect and resource roles to me, I can tell you what MS SQL roles are similar, if any.
    here it is...
    CONNECT

ALTER SESSION, CREATE CLUSTER, CREATE DATABASE LINK, CREATE SEQUENCE, CREATE SESSION, CREATE SYNONYM, CREATE TABLE, CREATE VIEW

RESOURCE

CREATE CLUSTER, CREATE INDEXTYPE, CREATE OPERATOR, CREATE PROCEDURE, CREATE SEQUENCE, CREATE TABLE, CREATE TRIGGER, CREATE TYPE

There is no one to one equivalence.

When you create a login, that login can connect to the server. To access any database, a database user has to be created for the login.

To create table/view/trigger/type/procedures you have to be a member of ddl_admin role.

There is no role which only allows create table and view only.