Thread: Password Confirmation Issue with Server Level Permissions - SQL Server 2000

Password Confirmation Issue with Server Level Permissions - SQL Server 2000

I have something strange happening in SQL permissions that I hope someone has seen before.

When I am in the Security Folder --> Logins under a SQL Server I can make changes (like a server role change) to an NT Login that is registered, press OK and SQL accepts the change no problem.
    When I try to make a change to any of the logins authenticating with SQL permissions a box appears after I hit OK that is titled "Confirm Password". When I enter the SQL password for that account I always get a pop up that says "The Confirmation password is not correct."

To try to isolate the problem I created a test login with SQL authentication. The same thing happens. When I try to make a change such as changing the assigned server roll from System Administrators to Server Administrators the Confirm Password box comes up. When I enter the password that I KNOW is the right one because I just created the login, it still gives me the "The Confirmation password is not correct" message. I even tried leaving the password blank and it still does the same thing.

This is happening on a couple of DEV boxes, but I tried it on my local instance of SQL and it HAPPENS THERE TOO!!

I just started on this project this week and no one here seems to have noticed this before.

There is a work-around sort of. If I re-enter the password under the general tab, make the roll change and then re-enter the same password when the confirmation box comes up then it works. But this is not feasible if I make a change to user X and user T on their SQL Server authenticated account because I do not know their password and would have to wipe it out to get around this issue.

Anyone have any ideas????

Thanks,

Chris

It's caused by a faulty security patch.

Read this is and update your machine accordingly: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;826161

Excellent.

Thanks Rawhide!

CT