Thread: SQL Permissions

Ed Molinari Guest

SQL Permissions

To all,
    I need some help understanding some things about SQL permissions. Login ID A is a login mapped to the dbo of database A and B. Login ID B is aliased to dbo. Why when running a transfer from database A to B, it runs OK when run by Login A, but fails as Login B. In the failure situation, I get error 15244, only sa or dbo can set database permissions. I thought by virtue of the aliasing I had dbo permissions.
    This SQL stuff is more confusing than any TCP/IP or Cisco stuff I have ever done.

Thanks in advance,
    Ed

Daimon Guest

SQL Permissions (reply)

Dear Ed,

I take it this is your first experience with SQL Server. If you are using Version 6.5, I still get confused. If you are using Version 7.0, it took me a while to understand some of the permissions also. I always consulted the Books On Line for my first source and then went into this web site. My guess would be in the aliasing you performed. If Login ID A did not give the priviledges to Login ID B, then it will failure regardless if it is an alias or not. Login ID A is the true dbo, who in this case needs to give permissions to Login ID B. Try it out and let me know.

Happy Hunting,
    Daimon

------------
    Ed Molinari at 6/17/99 5:24:18 PM

To all,
    I need some help understanding some things about SQL permissions. Login ID A is a login mapped to the dbo of database A and B. Login ID B is aliased to dbo. Why when running a transfer from database A to B, it runs OK when run by Login A, but fails as Login B. In the failure situation, I get error 15244, only sa or dbo can set database permissions. I thought by virtue of the aliasing I had dbo permissions.
    This SQL stuff is more confusing than any TCP/IP or Cisco stuff I have ever done.

Thanks in advance,
    Ed

Simon McAlister Guest

SQL Permissions (reply)

If someone is the DBO of a database, they are the DBO of the database, full stop. There is no such thing as a 'true" DBO. In order to do a transfer you need the appropriate permissions in both databases - read from the source and create/write to the destination. If you have both ids aliased as DBOs of BOTH databases there shouldn't be any difference.

------------
    Daimon at 6/17/99 5:33:34 PM

Dear Ed,

I take it this is your first experience with SQL Server. If you are using Version 6.5, I still get confused. If you are using Version 7.0, it took me a while to understand some of the permissions also. I always consulted the Books On Line for my first source and then went into this web site. My guess would be in the aliasing you performed. If Login ID A did not give the priviledges to Login ID B, then it will failure regardless if it is an alias or not. Login ID A is the true dbo, who in this case needs to give permissions to Login ID B. Try it out and let me know.

Happy Hunting,
    Daimon

------------
    Ed Molinari at 6/17/99 5:24:18 PM

To all,

Thanks in advance,
    Ed